We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ceefax Fast text - Numbers not headings

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum, but not certain where it should go.

My husband likes to read Ceefax (analogue not digital) Along the bottom of the pages there used to be four headings. i.e. sport, news, travel, weather. They were coloured red, yellow green and blue. Press the appropriate coloured button on the handset and it went straight to that page. Recently these heading changed to be replaced with 100; 200; 300; and 400.(Still coloured). We have a Samsung digital television. Strange thing is our ancient analogue tv with digital box along side still shows the headings as they used to be.

Would welcome any advice on how to get the headings back on the Samsung digital tv.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Since you are seeing analogue Ceefax, you have not yet been subjected to analogue swich-off. You are viewing analogue signals on both sets. There should be no modification of the displayed picture content as part of the analogue detection and video processing, therefore the picture should be the same on each set. I have just checked the Ceefax on my Samsung TV, never having previously looked at analogue on it. On the default page (100) there are four coloured headings at the bottom of the page which, from memory, are Sport, Weather, London TV and Index.

Is there a setting which defults the opening Ceefx page to other than 100? This is the only explanation I can think of for your experience.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Haven't looked at Ceefax for several.years but I seem to remember the 100,200.. etc. even then. Ceefax was innovative in its day but I was always frustrated by the need to wait for the pages to scroll round which took ages if there were a lot in a sequence. I seem to remember that you were supposed to be able to 'jump' to a page by typing in the number but it never seemed to work on my set.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Haven't looked at Ceefax for several.years but I seem to remember the 100,200.. etc. even then. Ceefax was innovative in its day but I was always frustrated by the need to wait for the pages to scroll round which took ages if there were a lot in a sequence. I seem to remember that you were supposed to be able to 'jump' to a page by typing in the number but it never seemed to work on my set.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks for responding.

natdoor - we used to have headings like yours but for some reason they changed to numbers. Will go and trawl through the menus on the Samsung to see if I can find a default.

BT you can punch in the numbers and it goes straight to that page.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

After a little experimentation I was able to replicate your situation. I had Ceefax displayed on BBC2 analogue, using the analogue tuner in the TV, with four text headings at the bottom. I decided to see if I got the same result with an external analogue source and tried to switch to it using the Source button on the Samsung TV remote. To my surprise, the result was that the Ceefax page remained but the texts turned to digits. Repeated presses of the Source button caused them to alternate between text and digits.

So I suspect that using the Source button will have the desired affect for you.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Absolutely brilliant natdoor. That did the trick. Hubby will be chuffed to bits. Many thanks.

Like this post  
natdoor

Likes # 0

You're welcome. The Source button must influence the way in which this part of the Ceefax page is constructed from its source informtion, which is contained in part of the 625 line data which is not displayed. This could be an unintended consequence rather than a deliberate design objective. It performs normally in analogue if Ceefax is not displayed.

I note that Ceefax has been withdrawn from ITV and Channel 4, even though switch-off has not taken place locally. Ceefax will, of course, only be available for a few months.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hubby is going to have to get used to the digital text at some point. But for the time being he is happy.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

(I note that Ceefax has been withdrawn from ITV and Channel 4)

Answer: ITV thought that it was costing too much for the use that people were giving it, so they discontinued it.

We had not used it for quite a long time until one day we were looking for a particular story, not finding it on BBC we went to ITV to look and as you guessed, there was NOTHING at all about their Cefax other than a couple of Government pages. It took two or three weeks to find that it had been discontinued through cost implications.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...