We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Maintenance

surfer47

Likes # 0

A local IT repair man has offered me a deal to keep my home PC running smoothly. For £7.50 per calendar month he will remotely access my PC and and keep it clear from nasties e.g. viruses. I have been using him for some years and he is reliable and does a good job. Does anyone have a view on this? I would be happy to have some views. Regards

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 1

Thank you averybody for all that useful advice. I think I will have a go at doing it myself. Regards

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You don't need to spend £90 per year (plus VAT?) to keep you PC free from viruses and malware. It can be done by you for free if you are willing to spend a few minutes each week doing it yourself. For continuous on-line monitoring download and install Microsoft Security Essentials then once a week take an hour or so to run CCleaner and Malwarebytes (easily found on Google). Once a month run a disk defragmenter (there is one built into all versions of Windows. Finally stay away from download sites where malware may be found. You could also install WOT that will advise you if a site is likely to be "dodgy".

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you trust him and he provides all the software and that is your only cost, I can see no reason why this is not such a bad idea.

I don't value my own time as I have plenty to spare, but for someone with a busy life and little desire to get involved with the Ins & Outs of a PC, this seems to be a reasonable deal. Especially if he also keeps the Malware, Adware, Trojans and Cookies in order and runs the occasional Defrag for you.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I agree with Chub_tor

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It's a bit like Car Servicing ~ I leave it to the Garage Mechanic who I trust although, I must admit, I haven't taken out a Service Contract with him.

However, if you have the time available, these jobs can be done with little knowledge, using free software.

If you wish to know what the most suitable free Software are, just keep an eye on this Forum. There are as many opinions as there are Threads, as to which are the best products, but there are really only two, or three, in each category.

There are a number of Fake Security Programs that Spammers, both on the Internet and Telephone, will offer you which will cause you no end of grief so beware and don't necessarily believe that just because you have to pay, it must do the job.

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 0

agree ! you'd better do the job yourself if possible ,not just for the money ,but also get some experience ,that will be helpful in using the PC!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

plenty of free programs will do this for you.

for spyware i use spyware blaster,SAS,MBAM.

for cleanup of junk ccleaner

registry & defrag of registry winaso

hard drive either windows defrag &chkdsk or one of many 3rd party defrag options i use jk defrag

also use an all round maintence program called advanced windows care from iobit

all above free downloads

Like this post
KGruleall

Likes # 0

Agree with Chub_tor. There are tons of freeware that you can use to maintain your pc, and it is not a hard job! Lately I discovered some new stuff called "Jet Clean" and "Jet Boost". They are the kind of tool that helps you keep your PC fast and clean. You can try it or any other tools you like!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hope he is reliable and trustworthy as he will have access to all your files and information that you have on your pc... Do you want to share that info... How will you know he isn't looking at/copying stuff you want to keep private.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers