We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem at start up

spec

Likes # 0

I booted my master drive this morning and can only get as far as, 'verifying DMI pool data'. Tried F2 for alternate start but it won't work. It seems that some virus or MWre has been waiting for the start up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Go into your BIOS and make sure that the hard drive with the Windows installed is correctly set as the primary boot device. Choose the HDD as primary boot device, followed by CD-ROM/Floppy. Also make sure that the HDD is set to auto-detect within the BIOS utility.

If you have any discs or diskettes in the CD-ROM or floppy drive(s) then please remove these and try and boot up again, this is to make sure the system is not trying to boot from the said device.

Make sure ALL cables are 100% connected to the system and are not loose at any scale. If any of the above does not work then try and reset the CMOS using the CMOS jumper.

If still nothing above fixes the issue then you may have to replace/fix the master boot record on the hard drive as this may be the cause. Post back after you have tried the suggestions above.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
spec

Likes # 0

chub, tried some of your suggests, no luck. I can't find the 'auto detect' in set up and I'm not confident interfering with the 'jumpers'. Will look into the page that Fruit Bat posted(thank you) and see what I can do with those suggestions, many thanks all the same. I musn't lose the files on the drive if I can help it.

Like this post
spec

Likes # 0

I tried a 'start up' disk but when I entered "sys c." (as suggested on your link Fruit Bat)I just kept getting 'bad file command'?

I have never reset the 'jumpers' but am willing to try anything if you can show me. Can I purchase any CD's that would help?

Many thanks again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

copy sys c:

Like this post
spec

Likes # 0

Thanks mate but that didn't work either.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Download and burn the iso of the ultimate Boot cd http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Set the BIOS to boot from CD as the first boot device (save and exit)

Boot the machine with the Cd in the drive and use it to look for and recover data from your hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia