We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows (7) activation code.

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7 Ultimate bought from Amazon and installed in late 2009. It has been working well and I have always installed updates. After the 9 updates last week I had a notification in the toolbar "Windows Activation" "An error has occurred" 0x800700D. "The data is invalid" . When I looked in Control panel / System Activation, it said I had 23 days to activate! I tried doing so using the code shown and it said "data Invalid" I really do not want to reinstall as I have so many other programmes. I tried a restore but it would not work. I have an ATI image and a clone but they are a bit out of date. Any suggestions? I use SAS and Malawarebytes (no problems found) amd Avira anti virus.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

Type SLUI 4 in the box and press OK.

This will start the Telephone Activation Wizard.

Select your country in the drop down menu and click the Next Button.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

If the telephone activation fails, stay on the line for a Representative.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/. Thanks. Will do that tomorrow.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have pen and paper ready.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi you never got this did you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fake-windows-activation

If you got W/7 from amazon it should give you the activation code on the CD disk pack that it came in.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for all replies. Via Fruit Bat's link, eventually was put through to MS technical support. They "took control" and even then took 45 mins to solve the problem. It appears that either the recent update or some other software had corrupted files to do with the validation part of the update process.The technician took a long time to find the reason, which is good in a way as I could never have found this fault. Now fixed by MS.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features