We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

router keeps disconnecting

rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hello, i am having a problem with my router, it keeps on disconnecting or , like this morning , web pages take ages to load,in the task bar the wireless signal is connected and signal strength is excellent, but often whether early morning or evening, it just seems to die, it is a Thompson speed touch ST585v6sl,i am on a windows 7 laptop, also my daughter has laptop and my son connects wirelessly with a playstation 3, we frequently get discconected and i was wondering if it was a new router i was needing, this extremely slow behaviour and disconnections happen even when i disconnect from wireless and use a wired connection, there is no difference, i would have thought that would make it more stable , any ideas please, much appreciated thanks

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 1

have you checked with your ISP might possibly be down to them

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

No i haven't, i may give them a phone tomorrow and see what they say, its getting to talk to someone who can understand you and who you can understand , if you get to talk to the Irish folk it fine but it is usually Asian folk first and i can never make out what they are saying, but i will try anyway, thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Sounds like AOL. Try running a speed test http://speedtest.pcadvisor.co.uk/

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It might take a while if your speed is down.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hi , i have done numerous speed tests, my speed is always around 2216kbps download speed sometimes slightly more , sometimes slightly less,i never reach 3Mb, i have done this with loads of different speed checkers, generally , like this morning that speed is fine,i am the only one online,its probably not enough to keep two of us going plus one person on a playstation ! my connection is good this morning , but i checked the network map and my daughters laptop is not on, its only mine , yesterday morning she was online with her laptop and iphone , i couldn't get any pages to load hardly at all,do you think if i got an N router it would help, mine is 802.11g, don't know that much about routers , thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

Just for info, I've recently replaced my 585 router (5 or six yrs old), as I began to get frequent disconnections. Touch wood, non with the new one (2 weeks).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...