We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I use two Routers?

Hetti

Likes # 0

I have had a nightmare since getting Virgin Medias Super home hub.

We have 5 PC'S three of them are on all day every day, two are spares. We had the hub located downstairs (engineer said it would be no problem for the PC upstairs).......NOT SO this PC is constantly freezing and losing internet connection although the signal strength is show as "good or excellent" , I realize it could be a problem with the PC not the Hub, but it was working great before we changed the the so called Super Hub.

What I wanted to ask is would I be able to set up my old D-link router and hard wire the PC in question? Would the D-link be able to connect to the virgin super hub or are there complications

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would say your easiest solution would be to have a Homeplug connected to existing router, then a wireless homepug upstairs. An example here

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Thanks for link, however Virgin have given me a Wireless adapter which was supposed to be £30.00 but gave it to me free because of the problems I have had,they don't solve the problem though.

Would this Virgin wireless adapter be the same as the equipment you have shown me in the link? if it is the same it may be a waste of money.

Its not even a large house I have only a semi, cant understand how this "New Super hub" cant cope.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

There are all sorts of problems with these so called super hubs from Virgin. Two of my customers have been supplied them (VMDG280 & 480) and both have had problems resulting in Virgin sending out replacements. My best advice to you is to switch off the wireless function on these combined routers. Simply reattach your old D-Link wireless router and then reboot both in sequence. This should restore you to where you were previously.

The other consideration is that with the number of computers in use the problem could be caused by the users taking too much bandwidth from your connection. It would only take two of them to be playing online games to severely restrict the third one browsing the internet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger