We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

transfer to new PC

pejay9
Resolved

Likes # 0

At present running XP OEM (32bit) and I need to replace just the PC. Is it possible to transfer everything over to a new PC. I have not yet purchased the new PC, but I am thinking of a large hard drive, partition it, running xp in one and windows 7 (64bit) in the other in other. Some initial queries are, Can it be done. My xp is an OEM version, and 32bit, My xp is restricted to 2GB ram where as the new PC will have more. I anticipate installing windows 7 myself, do I Install before or after the transfer. If it is possible The next question will be how. I do have an external hd and Acronis True Image 11 Home which I understand will not run in windows 64 bit, and although it will load an image to a new hard drive problems arise going to a different PC. Finally if none of this is possible, whats the best way.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My xp is an OEM version therefore not transferable

Why do you think you need XP on the new machine?

Acronis True Image Home 11 (2007) This version provides users with more options, such as File Shredder that destroys individual files so they can't be resurrected and Try&Decide feature, allowing user to create a temporary, safe place on a hard drive where any changes of the system can be performed. Does not work with W7

Acronis True Image Home 2011 (2010) This version of True image includes the following new features: Redesigned GUI, full Windows 7 Integration; USB 3.0 support; Predefined Backup Schemes and Check Points for Acronis Backup Explorer.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd forget XP, and just transfer all your files and settings using Easy Transfer details here

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you are installing Windows 7 then I can see little point in transferring settings over from XP. Once you have installed Windows 7 then add your XP drive as a slave in the new PC and copy all your files etc over, then wipe the XP drive and use it as a backup.

Like this post
pejay9

Likes # 0

Why do I need xp on the new machine? well too many things are are giving me problems and the recommendations are get a new PC, also I need to have regular access,and I have no experience of moving files, programs, and applications over. I do use most of the Acronis applications. So another option is to keep the xp machine going while setting up the new, just changing monitor etc back and forth until I can complete the move?

Like this post
pejay9

Likes # 0

The hard drive is one of the suspect problems. Could I not use the external hard drive? Perhaps using "Easy Transfer," although I have not looked at this yet.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Acronis True Image 11 works perfectly on Win 7 64 bit, no need to upgrade.

Like this post
pejay9

Likes # 0

Had time to look at "Easy Transfer" there various options, the one for xp to windows 7 does not quote 32 or 64bit so I assume it does both. Will do a bit more research and come back with any more queries. With ref to "Acronis True Image 11 Home" running on windows 7 64bit, great, my contact must have been wrong, but I shall find out when I go to load the original cd

Like this post
pejay9

Likes # 0

I now have a better idea how to go about the transfer. Looking at web sites about windows 7, it's not clear to me if it comes with an internet browser included, if not how do I get on line for the first time to load one down; Google Chrome or an alternative

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

It comes with IE8.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite