We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networking Windows 7 & XP

busybaz

Likes # 0

If this should be in the Windows 7 Forum, moderator please advise.

Need an idiot's step by step guide, from scratch, on networking new laptop running Windows 7 x64 to old PC running Windows XP SP3. Any ideas, apart from the How To Geek link in similar threads?

I'm not a complete imbecile [CompTIA A+ Certification], but networking has never been a strongpoint [or even just a point]. Have tried everything in Windows Help, everything I could find via Google and PCA forums. This includes opening ports in McAfee firewall, downloading & installing LLTD on the XP machine.

My first ever laptop and I am finding it an almost alien beast - trying to get used to Windows 7 isn't helping either. Results so far include Laptop showing in XP network but not having access to laptop, Workgroup showing as a network in router list.

Setup Virgin cable modem attached to [ancient?] Tenda W302R router, Windows XP PC has Tenda W302U USB wireless adapter, Windows 7 Laptop Lenovo G570 [Mnfr Code: M515CUK]

I am just a short push away from wearing underpants on my head, shoving pencils up my nose and crying wibble. Any input would be appreciated before the nice men in white coats cart me off.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I gave up! I have a linux box that can see the W7 PC and share the printer connected to the W7 PC. I can see the recorded tv folder on the w7 PC and watch stuff on my linux box but I cant access the My Documents folder on the w7 PC. The w7 PC sees nothing but itself on the network whether I am part of a home group or not. I also have a laptop WXP that can share the printer but not access folders.

So I will watch this thread with great interest to see if a solution is forthcoming!

Like this post
busybaz

Likes # 0

SOLVED

See my Helproom post "Connect Windows 7 Laptop To XP PC, Anyhow!"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite