We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Magnetic damage to Hard drive and cooling fan

tim.h

Likes # 0

My Equium L10-200 Toshiba laptop was placed very briefly on the top of a hifi loudspeaker. On removal it would not boot up and gave a blue screen with error message. Advisors in another thread have pointed me in the right direction (thanks Fruitbat) regarding reinstallation and recovery, but I have another problem. I can boot from my DVD drive but after half an hour or so the machine stops with a click. I haven’t heard the cooling fan working, so I assume that the problem is overheating. My question is, assuming that the fan has stopped working because of the same magnetic fields that corrupted the hard drive, is the damage likely to be to the fan, some controlling circuitry or indeed software that controls the fan? Will a straight replacement of the fan solve the problem? Obviously there is no point attempting to reinstall the OS if there is a possibility of a thermally influenced cutout in the middle of the procedure. I would appreciate any comments.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There would not be any damage to the fan due to a magnetic field problem. Sound more like a fault in itself or the controls working it. If you are competant enough, then you could check the fan independently.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

30 minutes is a long time for it to work without the fanworking at all, it would most likely shut down to overheat within 30 seconds.

read here

How to repair a tosh here

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

I was getting ready to dismantle to access the fan and just nudged the rotors to check whether it was seized. It turned, so I thought give it one more chance and booted up from DVD drive. Surprise surpise fan now functioning and has been for nearly two hours and at rest it is reading 36 degrees, which seems fine to me. It's all a mystery to me so all I have to do now is track down some installation discs. Thanks for all responses.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A click and reboot can be down to a hard drive problem.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

My fan stuck on my laptop when only 4 months old.

Since I had already broken and replaced the screen, I didn't bother about warranty.

Fully expecting to clean or replace the fan, I was pleasanty surprised to find I could pull the rotor/fan blades off and 3-in-1 oil it. Two drops. That was a year ago. Fine since.

Google "how to lubricate a fan" for lots of links.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback