We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

bottlenecking help

sieggylee

Likes # 0

Hey guys...its been a long time sinse i came on here last and the last time i was on here everyone was so helpful so now im asking for everyones help again.

Basicly i believe that my CPU is bottlenecking my GTX 570 SLI and i want to know if bulldozer is any better? I know that its only just come out so it might be hard to tell...not happy with what i have read on it so far. I spent £200 on a new motherboard ready for it...should of just got an Intel one :(.

Anyway if someone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Might be actually quite useful to have mentioned in your post the motherboard you have just spent 200 quid on and even maybe your CPU. Perhaps then we just might be able to give you an answer, at the moment it would be pure guesswork as to whether your CPU is bottle-necking your graphics card.

What do you think?

Like this post
sieggylee

Likes # 0

yeah sorry my bad lol.i got a phenom ii x6 1090t CPU and my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Not an easy question to answer outright. I have games that use a single core of my CPU intensively and only lightly touches my GTX 460 and it varies lots with other games. Basically it's not an equal balance in most cases but modern games like Battlefield 3, Witcher 2 etc will push everything with the right settings. Also what resolution do you game at?

Like this post
sieggylee

Likes # 0

1920x1080..dont really want to go any lower than that lol

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I game at 1900 x 1200 with my latest build without any problems whatsoever. Metro,COD, Crysis 2 etc at high or ultra so I really do not think you should be having any problems.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Done a bit more research and your resolution shouldn't present too many problems as long as the applications are well tuned to multi threaded CPUs! The one weakness with AMD is when presented with programs/games that only use a single thread/core, then Intel chips tend to stomp all over them. Then again GTX 570 SLI is so overkill for that resolution anyway it should obliterate any given game

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...