We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Tools Firewall Problem

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Hi,

I use PC Tools Firewall on Windows XP x64 Edition as I have done for a good while.

When I recently re-installed Windows Recently and Loaded PC Tools back on, it intalizes then after a while and says:

"PC Tools Firewall Plus Is Currently Disabled It is Advised that you enable The Firewall"

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks Rob

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't use it myself but have you checked that the XP firewall is turned off? Then go to PC Tools' firewall options and see if you can turn it on.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Will Check this now thanks Dave.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Nope that didn't work any other suggestions???

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I use PC Tools Firewall Plus with XP Pro 32bit - should be exactly the same in function.

Whilst I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, PC Tools Firewall shuts the XP firewall on installation and totally inhibits its operation. I do know that there was a problem with the firewall and Ccleaner some time ago (2007?) but would hope this has been resolved.

Could it be either some malware that has got onto your PC that is causing the problem (trying to allow access) or some other security software closing it for some reason? I did find this about Avira which may be applicable and I know in some cases it is important as to the order security software is installed. Perhaps a Google search (PC Tools Firewall Plus conflicts?) would provide indications.

The only other suggestion I can make is a complete uninstall of the Firewall, Restart, clean the Registry and delete all folders referring to it, another Restart and then install a full fresh copy.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Thanks Johndrew

I've tried re-installing the software (Clean) still nothing I then downloaded the 7.0 version when it's installing the drivers it crashes with a blue screen! STOP OX0000000 A

Do you have a link where I can download 6.0 ???

Thanks John Rob

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I know of a few, try here or here or here or CNet.

I'm also on V6 and have no idea of whether V7 may cause problems. The site says it's compatible though.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem recently and have used the Windows 7 firewall since. A pity as I liked it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4085367/problem-installing-pctools-firewall/

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Thanks John - ile give the PC Tools 6.0 another try I myself as much as you don't know what is going on with PC Tools Firewall.

Ile report back.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

The First link has a password protected file all the others are version 7.0 :-S

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This shows as version 6 download, softonic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback