We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange message following updates

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 64 bit Ultimate, up to date. Yesterday 9 Updates were installed. When I switch on the PC a message just above the bottom right of the taskbar appears mentioning a windows problem. When "further details" are followed a Square box appears headed "Windows Activation" An error has ocurred 0x800700D Description: The data is invalid. Nothing seems to have stopped working so it is a mystery. Any suggestions? I have a full retail version that was installed in late '09 so I is not a validation issue.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

PS found on GOOGLE a MS Fix and ran MS "Fix it" programme which found no update errors. I may follow the manual route they suggest in their fix for this problem - a bit long winded involving renaming the Software Distribution directory etc so may just ignore it for now.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I suppose I could do a system restore to before the updates then reistall them. Will o so tomorrow if problem persists.

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

Does this help?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

badhair1963. Thanks but 0x800700D is used for a number of things; as there was no warning specifically about invalid version, I think it is more to do with the recent updates. I tried to run a system restore in normal and safe mode. The first did not work, and the second crashed. It is working and I will watch and wait. I have found another fix in the MS database, but as things are ok for now will wait a while. Others have found restore does not always work!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Problem seems to have mysteriously gone! System restore problems will form another thread.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)