We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Connection error 815

Pharamyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Dell XPS 430 desktop and a Netgear DGN2000 modem/router. My ISP is Zen. The router is connected to the PC by an ethernet cable. I have had no problems accessing the internet for years until a couple of days ago when the monitors on the info bar show a triangle with a yellow exclamation mark. The Window’s Diagnose and Repair reports “Error 815. The Broadband Network Connection could not be established because the remote server is not responding. My laptop with a wireless connection to the router as no problem connecting so I assume the router is OK. Can anyone help please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the laptop is OK, it must be: a. cable - try another and into a different port on the router (could just try unpugging and reinserting existing cable - may be a bit of corrosion on the connection). b. ethernet adaptor - a card costs a tenner, so probably worth a try

Like this post
Pharamyd

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried the cable in another port on the router with no change. I'll get another cable and try that first and then I'll consider the new card if necessary. Many thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try removing the cable from the PC as well, just in case it's the connection there.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem (with a different router and ISP) I agree try a new ethernet cable, but as you are with the excellent Zen, I am sure their tech guys could talk you through the problem on the phone as they could "see" errors on your system.Even Talk Talk helped me!!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check in device manager that under network adapters you have no warning icon. If not then does it show any adapter? It could have failed.

Like this post
Pharamyd

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody.I will try the new cable when it arrives and if there is no change I'll try Zen. I'll also check Device Manager to see what it shows. I'll report back as soon as possible.

Like this post
Pharamyd

Likes # 0

I have now tried a new ethernet cable with no change. Device Manager shows no problems for any adapters. After a long phone call to Zen help desk we have come to the conclusion that a new adapter card is the only answer to the problem.So I shall get one and try to install it and see what happens. If that doesn't fix the problem I shall be back. Thank you everyone who tried to help.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

One more thing before you spend any money , did you try removing/uninstalling the ethernet adapter from device manager and rebooting the PC , letting Windows find it again .

Ashley
Like this post
Pharamyd

Likes # 0

I have now installed a USB wireless adaptor and can at last connect to the internet. It looks as if a new card is needed but I really don't want to get inside the PC. Thanks to all who tried to help me with this problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?