We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC will not boot after BSD

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

My self bukt PC has two SATA HHDs and 1 SATA DVD RW drive + 1 IDE DVD RW drive. Suffered a BDS today follwoing which I cannot boot into Windows XP SP3. Normal boot and using last successful boot just continually wraps during the first screen (and the hhd light comes on strongly for half a second, then goes permanently off then suddenly comes on again more weakly); any form of safe mode stops as it lists the driver hotcore3.sys (and the hhd light is is the same); attempting a reinstallation of Windows using either DVD just continually shows 'Setup is starting Windows' (and the hhd light is is the same). To make matters worse, I have a bootable Acronis Trus Image backup of my system but this reoirets that it cannot see either HHD, once again whichever DVD drive I use

On boot-up the BIOS reports both HDDs as S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Thanks but already trieds that. In fact I've used the same cable to attach the HHD to hopper to run on my laptop, and I've been accessing my files all afternoon and evening that way.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

some things to try:

1st. Reseat the RAM memory and check other connections inside and out.

2nd. Remove both HDD's from the pc and boot up without any HDD in, you should get message of 'no boot device found' - so far so good switch off by holding in power button for about 5-10 secs.

3rd. Attach your primary HDD and boot to safe mode. If successful try starting normally. If that works then you will know it is possibly a fault with second HDD.

And a note, I have always been advised to only have one HDD attached (and no printer etc) when installing XP from CD/DVD, maybe because you had both in that caused a problem when you tried a reinstallation of Windows.

Also at some stage check in BIOS to make sure HDD is properly recognised.

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

1. Done - all correctly seated
  2. Done - error message recieved as expected
  3. Well I'm blowed. Warning noted - I havn't done any OD installation since installing the second drive, so I don't think that that is the problem, but PC now working properly with just the one HDD installed.

Will check 2nd HHD in more detail tommorrow and take approprtiate action, but I think its still under warranty.

Thank you for saving me time and money.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Excellent, glad you got it working again :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13 you were right, a hard drive is dead. Seems the second hard drive is dead/faulty.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic

Possibly and looks like it. I would still try another sata cable to the second hdd, reconnect it, and see if it works. If same results then drive is faulty.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree, also try the 2ndHDD hooked up to laptop like xania did with the first one.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

2nd HHD dead as a Dodo - and 3 months OUT of warranty. Luck of the draw I suppose. Now ordered a spanking new 1 TB and this will become my primary HHD and the existing one will become my backup - and loadsaspace LOL

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

:) fine excuse to get a 1 TB drive :)

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you mention the HD light 'dimming' I suspect a power failure.

Remove all USB devices attached to your computer and try again, if this shows an improvement, I would consider a new PSU (Power Supply Unit)

It could also be something as simple as a loose power connection on your motherboard. As you built it yourself, I assume you still have the documentation showing where each power coupling goes.

Have a close look at each connection and unplug and re-insert as necessary.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide