We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC will not boot after BSD

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

My self bukt PC has two SATA HHDs and 1 SATA DVD RW drive + 1 IDE DVD RW drive. Suffered a BDS today follwoing which I cannot boot into Windows XP SP3. Normal boot and using last successful boot just continually wraps during the first screen (and the hhd light comes on strongly for half a second, then goes permanently off then suddenly comes on again more weakly); any form of safe mode stops as it lists the driver hotcore3.sys (and the hhd light is is the same); attempting a reinstallation of Windows using either DVD just continually shows 'Setup is starting Windows' (and the hhd light is is the same). To make matters worse, I have a bootable Acronis Trus Image backup of my system but this reoirets that it cannot see either HHD, once again whichever DVD drive I use

On boot-up the BIOS reports both HDDs as S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

One final check. I have put my PC main HHD in a cady and successfully rad the C:\ partition on my laptoip, rulling out any Hardware or MBR problem.

Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Dead hard drive in my humble opinion. S.M.A.R.T. isn't very good. To be honest I think it's worse than useless. Remove the hard drive to another PC or caddy and either run check disk or use a hard drive manager. Does Acronis have a capable one?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You don't say which OS you're using but I'll guess Vista.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

boot to command prompt and run chkdsk /r

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, faster than you this time..lol but look as the replies times?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Never mind. My last two posts (prior to my 10:43PM post) were posted before xania's 10:33PM post but it's been frigged.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

rdave13 - as already mentioned, have managedto read HHD easily in a caddy on my laptop so don't think there is an issue there. I also mentioned thta the system in question is Windows XP SP3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - ok - i'll try this this afternoon. I forgot to mention that the physical drive has a number of partitions - the primary C: in the primary partition and, in the extended partiton D-K - the second HHD has backups of D and H-K. Fortunately, the crash happened 3 hours AFTER my automatic daily backup.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I completely missed the XP bit. Serves me right for squinting at the screen and not searching for my glasses! Apologies.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have now connected my SATA HHD from the PC via a hopper to my laptop and succeeeded in copying some useful data across, so I'm pretty certain the HHD is OK. However, taking up Fruit Bat's suggestion, I have run chkdsk s: /r (the system drive comes in as s:\ on the laptop and the only problem found was some free space marked as allocated, but I also noticed that the drive was very full so have done some clearing down.

Unfortunately, after all this, there's no change. I fear the worst - a new motherboard.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

One other thing to try is change the sata cable in case it's faulty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more