We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

watchingTv on Pc

misters

Likes # 0

Hi im a complete novice about this so please if you can help make it as simple as possible, thank you.

My problem is i recently purchased a PC with a built in tv card and i now would like to watch tv on my pc using windows media centre, i have plugged in my outside aierel to my pc but each time i scan for channels using wmc it find nothing not even a tv signal, the aeiel is fine cause i have no problems using it in my tv.

Can someone please guide me through what i should be doing and am i missing anything?

Thank you.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
misters

Likes # 0

The guide was great and i followed it but still no signal, though now i'm not sure if i'm using the right ca ble to connect i was just usink my antenna cable to plug into the back of my computer, but i noticed there is another hole socket just like the one you get in the back of your monitor for sound i think they call it a jack connection there and i'm not sure if i have to use that as well.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No all you need is the aerial plugged into the aerial socket on the TV card

However if it is an old analogue only card it won't get a signal now we have all gone digital.

Have a look in the menu to set the card for digital if possible.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you bought it recently (new) it should be Freeview from the aerial.

Check connections. Plug a flat screen TV into it instead of PC to see if you are getting signal.

Even my 5 yr old Hauppagge Desktop PCI card is Freeview.

Auto Tune has analogue and digital and FM radio options. Most of UK is digital only now. London is next year.

Digitaluk

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

robinofloxley - in the first post it states that the aerial works with the tv assuming it is the same socket and cable.

I had a number of problems with tv on pc and getting a signal. I found that the signal has to be fairly strong and my indoor aerial was useless.

Like this post
misters

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure it is digital but in case it isnt is there a quick way of cheking? I do use the airel in my flat screen tv and it works great only when i plug into pc tv card i dont get a signal, its anoutside aeirel not indoor, so i assume the signal should be strong, would using an extension cable be the problem?

Like this post
misters

Likes # 0

Bump

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

would using an extension cable be the problem?

extension for the aerial ? maybe

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

First, Download this Program (ScanChannelsBDA_UK.exe) Click here

Run it, to see if it finds your Hauppauge DVD-T PCI Express Card, when or if, it does find it,

If it's a Single DVB-T Card, Click 1, to scan all UK & Europe Frequencies.

If it's a Dual DVB-T Card, Click 1 or 2 to select Tuner 1 or 2 (it doesn't matter which one, It just gives you the choice), After you have selected a Tuner, Click 1, to scan all UK & Europe Frequencies.

If it comes up with NO TV Channels, Download this (HP's, Original Hauppauge TV Tuner Driver) Click here and install it.

This will be helpful Click here

and this Click here

Your PC, Info & Downloads Click here, HP Pavilion p6780uk Desktop PC

Like this post
misters

Likes # 0

I'm officially giving up i have tried everything Lazarus The 2nd has advised and still nothing, the only other option is to call hp help desk wich i heard can be a nightmare.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more