We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless routers

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, before you comment, yes I have read this months magazine. I currently have a Linksys ADSL2 Gateway wired router with four PCs sharing. This is about 4 years old and I wonder if it would be better to replace it with a newer one and switch to wireless at the same time. Looking in the mag the Asus looks like a good option but it says it does not have a modem, can someone explain what that means please. I am looking for some general advice really and would appreciate you comments.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks to all for the quick replies.

Fruit Bat, I connect via a phoneline, talktalk is the company that bills me but presumably the line is BT. Thanks John Bunyon, I will look up the spec on that. rdave, thanks this is very similar to the W8961ND reviewed in this months mag, it has a reasonable write up but a bit too basic, no usb ports for ex. You can get a new one for about £30.00 so worth considering. It`s the get what you pay for scenario. I want the best one in the world for nothing :) I expect I will have to comprimise.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

bumpkin.I am also with talk talk and a phone line. Have a look at the Belkin Share 300.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=509881

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your quick replies. Fruit Bat, I connect via BT phoneline. Thanks John Bunyon I will look up the spec on this. rdave, this is very similar to the W8961ND reviewed in this months mag, reasonable write up and goes about £30 quid, cheap but very basic the sort of thing I would buy and always wish I had got a better one.

Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin, thanks for your reply. Never thought about USB ports.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Sorry I posted twice, my error. John Bunyan, the Belkin looks like a good buy. Excuse my ignorance on this but if this is wireless do the remote desktops, laptops require transmitters. Laugh if you wish but if not how does it work :)

Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Desktops might need a dongle for wireless. Does this Belkin have a USB connection?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi rdave, not being able to access their website is a sure fire put off to me. Looking elsewhere I find it has one USB port which will do.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The reason I wanted USB ports was for printer sharing and sharing a USB back up drive. As I say I am new to this and if there is another way please tell me.

Ray

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The Belkin does what you want: Specifications ?Wireless Standards with Link Rate - IEEE 802.11n (up to 300Mbps), IEEE 802.11g (up to 54Mbps), IEEE 802.11b (up to 11Mbps*) ?Wireless Operating Spectrum - 2.4 GHz Perfect for data and web traffic, and file- and picture-sharing ?Wireless Security - Pre-configured security, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, 256bit WPA®/WPA2® encryption, 64/128 WEP encryption ?VPN Support - PPTP, IPSec pass-through ?Ports - 1x WAN, 4x LAN, 1x USB 2.0. Supports external USB hard drives formatted in Fat 16/32 and NTFS file systems. Supports USB printers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...