We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless routers

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, before you comment, yes I have read this months magazine. I currently have a Linksys ADSL2 Gateway wired router with four PCs sharing. This is about 4 years old and I wonder if it would be better to replace it with a newer one and switch to wireless at the same time. Looking in the mag the Asus looks like a good option but it says it does not have a modem, can someone explain what that means please. I am looking for some general advice really and would appreciate you comments.

Ray

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A modem connects a PC to the internet. A router allows more than one PC to connect to the internet via the modem. A modem router has the two combined, so is all that is required.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi onthelimit, that is what I thought, in the mag it shows an £85 asus router which is fairly expensive anyway but in the tech bit it says it does not have a modem. So do I have to buy another component and if so what spec?

I think I will give that a miss.

Any suggestions for a reliable wireless router budget £30 to £120max.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

bumkin. I recently bought a Belkin Share 300 wireless router. Seems good if a little tricky to install. I have it wired by ethernet cable to my desktop and to a Vonage broadband phone black box, also in its wireless N mode to my wife's laptop and 2 grandchildren's iPod Touches. My house is quite sturdy and the wireless signal seems very good. I think it was £69 in Staples.Do have your ISP user name and password ready when installing. I had a Linksys like yours a couple of years ago. I think this one has a better wireless range.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, I've just replaced a Thompson wireless router (starting to drop out frequently) for a Linksys, and the wireless range of the new one is not good (but, it is a modem router and was only 40 quid).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

How do you connect to your ISP?

Cable or phone line?

With cable, the modem and router are separate you cn have modem + a wireles router which will allow a (4) ethernet cable connections and several wirelss connections

With phone line the wireless router and modem are combined in one unit again usually 4 ethernet cable connections and several wireless connections

The more things connected the less Bandwidth (slower connection) each device has.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another one to look out for is the difference between a cable router and a BT line modem router. Here's an example of a Telephone line modem router, example only.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, by the time I sorted the link and to suggest the difference of cable and line, you've posted and gone for a walk I suppose!! :) Must get a secretary to type for me....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With Virgin cable the router and modem belong to them and are maintained free of charge. You should be careful about replacing routers that are ISP provided that you don't fall foul of their terms and conditions or maintenance. When I left Orange they wanted their Livebox back or would charge me £100. I actually used a D-Link as I didn't like the Livebox and it was a good job that I kept the Livebox.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell, a good warning.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

rdave13

I am typing with two fingers :0)

and not correcting the mistakes, as you can see from my post :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...