We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless routers

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, before you comment, yes I have read this months magazine. I currently have a Linksys ADSL2 Gateway wired router with four PCs sharing. This is about 4 years old and I wonder if it would be better to replace it with a newer one and switch to wireless at the same time. Looking in the mag the Asus looks like a good option but it says it does not have a modem, can someone explain what that means please. I am looking for some general advice really and would appreciate you comments.

Ray

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If you site the Modem router near your desktop (if you have a phone point there) then you can connect by ethernet /LAN (as you can to other nearby devices) . Laptops usually have built in wireless cards, as do some printers, but you you will have to check your specs. You could get a wirless card for the deshtop if it is too far for a LAN /ethernet cable.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again John, I have been trying to buy the Belkin you suggested as it seems to be what I require. John Lewis is out of stock and I can`t find it elsewhere at a reasonable price. I will continue looking but welcome any links or suggestions.

thanks again Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

PC World do a Belkin F7D3402uk Share for 49.97 or a Belkin F7D3302uk for 39.97.

Are either of these the same or similar to the N300 ?

Ray

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I got mine in a local Staples at about £65. Not sure about the others but you could google them for specs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...