We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where is music stored on WMP?

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi folks

I use WMP 12 and while its fine overall, Im not sure about a number of things.

1 Where exactly is music generally stored?

2 If I want to load on some music files I have on USB where do I put them? Do I select all the files and move them to .....where? Are they then automatically in the WMP library?

Its just that having recently installed a new hard drive, I would like to be certain of what exactly to do and how exactly it works before I add in / load on my music which I put on USB before the installation. Up to now I wasnt certain where any music file was, maybe I put them in different places each time (my own fault!) but from now on I want to be organized.

In Windows-Libraries-Music there is My Music, but also Public Music-Sample music. The 3 tracks included with Windows are in the Public Music-Sample Music folder. So is this where I should bring in all my music to, or just into My Music.

Also if I rip a CD where does it go by default?

many thanks

h

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Just into My Music.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - by default, into My Music.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I have more than one music folder but you can use the library feature so that WMP can 'see' them all if you wish and create lists. The library isn't where the music is stored but it's like having an index in a book, for want and need of a better explanation.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I'm still using WMP10 (I once tried WMP11 and found it so bad that I reverted). I suspect WMP12 is fundamentally the same in WMP10 with regard to the underlying fundamentals.

As others have said, you can put your music files (MP3s etc.) wherever you choose. My Music seems as good a place as any.

WMP10 was set-up by default to hunt for music files to add to its library (aka its index table). In WMP10 this facility can be controlled by going to Tools, Options and clicking the Library tab and selecting the "Monitor Folders" button. WMP12 probably has same facility, but it may be accessed via another route.

You can manually tell WMP to search for files to add details of to the library (F3 or Tools, Search for Media Files).

WMP's Library is where it stores the details of all of the media files (e.g. music files) that it knows about. In WMP10 this is a file known as CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb and is typically located at C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player.

If the library ever gets in a mess, you can close WMP and delete the libary file (i.e delete CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb or whatever it is called in WMP12). Then restart WMP and follow the F3 route to repopulate a fresh library file (WMP will create an empty file as soon as it finds there isn't a file at all).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July