We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W 7 updates today

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had 9 W7 Updates today. When I did a CCleaner "Issues" check in it's registry mode, many things - mainly to do with silverlight (why do I need this anyway ?) showed up. I saved the registry settings then let CCleaner fix all the issues. I wonder why this is not dealt with by MS as part of the update.People who don't do this must have a very messy registry in a few months.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

every silverlight update leaves loads of dead reg entries behind, cannot understand why MS is so slack with silverlight.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

My W7 updates totally crashed my McAfee and stopped it working. Couldn't even access McAfee. Ended up having to do a System Restore and everything now OK.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

*(why do I need this anyway ?) * I don't know really as it wont work with IE9-64bit!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

On my Win 7 CCleaner found that there were more than 49 Silverlight bits and pieces left behind.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

rdave13. I have w7 64 bit . I have never noticed silverlight in use, and wonder why MS installs it and updates it. I usually accept all updates as I naievly assume MS know what they are doing! What is it for in any case?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's for viewing videos, If you run This page in IE9 32-bit you'll see the video.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

rdave13. It ran ok. Althoigh I have W7 64 bit many programmes only run in 32 bit (eg Photoshop CS5 in 64 bit mode is ok for editing but I launch the 32 bit version for scanning as there are no TWAIN drivers for PS 64 bit). I guess silverlight launches in 32 bit mode as do other programmes in my C: Programme Files(x86). I also have the usual Adobe flash player and Quick time player and am never sure which one is used in these on line videos.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Running programs is different to running browsers. You have a choice of browsers. I also run Win 7 64-bit and sometimes if you right click the program icon and select properties and compatibility tab then possibly try Vista service pack 2? If it doesn't work then back to the usual. Worth a try.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

you need silverlight to watch skyplayer on your pc. not found any other uses.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I usually accept all updates by that I presume you have your updates set to Automatic? You can change this in Control Panel - Windows Updates - Change Settings - change to Download Updates but let me choose whether to Install them. This gives you greater control over you updates - critical/optional. Those you choose not to install you can hide.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features