We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Programs on another Drive

RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

I'm looking at Installing my Programs and Games onto another Drive (Windows XP) is there anything that I need to amend in Regedit or vise versa to make this happen?

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I usually create a new folder such as downloads2 on the second drive and when downloading direct it to the folder (browse). If it's a game then create a new folder on the second drive with the game's name and install it there. Usually it will create an icon in the start list and desktop on the C: drive.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

no, just select the folder or drive durimg install process

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you have the install disks then no.

http://tech.mobiletod.com/move-installed-program-other-drive/ this article is good for Vista and W7

http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm this program is need for XP

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Can I modify the Registry? I've looked on Google and it says you can changes the paths???

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Modify the registry? - - No leave the registry absolutely alone particularly while you are making changes of the sort you want to do.

The only modification later that might be helpful as a final tidy-up, is to use CCleaner in its "issues" option. This will safely clear away any orphaned or left over bits from the re-installations you have made.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

All I had to do was change the paths in the regedit

That seems fine. And I've moved the "My Documents" onto the Programs Drive Now I need a workaround for Outlook Express:

"Outlook Express Cannot Be Started The Application was unable to open the OutLook Express Message Store"

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Unless you know what you're doing then I'd tread carefully. You might start buggering your windows updates etc. If you need to do it properly have a search of how to install programs on second hdd.

This put me off- too much like hard work!

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Rdave13

This is a new Install Of XP

I got the Documents Transfered over to the "Other Drive" But I'm faced with the error with Outlook Express.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I expect it's the same with XP. You might find problems with Outlook, Updates and other programs that will only install on the C: drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...