We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Processor/s Anomaly?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - FF7 - IE9

My new PC seems to me to be running below par. There are many little things, that make me think that it's not firing on all cylinders/processors? Mainly, everytime I open a folder or file there is a lag a brief waiting time before something happens?

So I went to a website that said it could speed up W7. One of the first things it said was how many processors have you got? Then it said the quickest way to check was to type...msconfig...in the search bar and open the 'Boot' tab. He said top left it will tell you how many processors you have. I followed his directions and it listed my PC as having only one (1).

However, in it's drop down box there was an option to change this to either 1 - 2 - 3 or 4? I was under the impression that the number originally showing was the number of processors my PC actually has.

So I went to the 'Device Manager' and it (like me) seemed under the impression that I actually have 4 processors.

Question: Is my PC running slow because hitherto it's only been firing on 1 processor?...CLICK HERE

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

as for ASC Pro i used to use winaso for optimisation but recently ASC has got much better, why not try you can always revert back with an image if not liked. looks like your getting close to the last chance saloon.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Well I'm downloading them all to my PC, then I'll take it from there. As for ASC I'll wait and see what happens with the drivers first.

You have to Flash the BIOS don't you?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

only ever updated a bios once, which was on my MSi board it was all done auto from within windows, but some boards its a lot of messing around and not worth it unless is a last result.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If there is no much on the drive, Why not return it to Manufacturers Setup by running the Restore backup you got with the Laptop

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

woodchip

"If there is no much on the drive"...I have added 66 programmes.

"the Restore backup you got with the Laptop"...It's a desktop and I didn't get a Restore Backup, I got the full Windows 7 home Premium disk and I made a Win 7 32 bit Repair Recovery Disk when I first got it. But I'm not sure if it will or won't wipe my stuff?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

yes it will wipe all you put on it but it should be ok after if there are no hardware faults

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

What about a repair install, win 7 comes with of them as well, that shouldn't wipe my other stuff should it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could try it but there are no Guarantees it will work, may be worth a try

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS this could be a Driver Problem, Check Device Manager to see if it will update the CPU Driver

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi woodchip

As yet I haven't tried your last suggestion, as I've only just seen it. My PC has just started making a low ocillating whine, like a small animal in pain.

I came to ask about the lorry load of System and Mobo driver updates that I downloaded from ASUS on Monday. Someone said just click the 'exe' file and install them like you would normaly install any programme. it doesn't seem to be that simple, because not only is there more than one 'exe' to a driver? But when you/I click any of them that opens a whole new can of worms, because inside them are command prompt links etc?!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks