We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Processor/s Anomaly?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - FF7 - IE9

My new PC seems to me to be running below par. There are many little things, that make me think that it's not firing on all cylinders/processors? Mainly, everytime I open a folder or file there is a lag a brief waiting time before something happens?

So I went to a website that said it could speed up W7. One of the first things it said was how many processors have you got? Then it said the quickest way to check was to type...msconfig...in the search bar and open the 'Boot' tab. He said top left it will tell you how many processors you have. I followed his directions and it listed my PC as having only one (1).

However, in it's drop down box there was an option to change this to either 1 - 2 - 3 or 4? I was under the impression that the number originally showing was the number of processors my PC actually has.

So I went to the 'Device Manager' and it (like me) seemed under the impression that I actually have 4 processors.

Question: Is my PC running slow because hitherto it's only been firing on 1 processor?...CLICK HERE

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

try downloading Advanced Windows Care, new free version out today

http://majorgeeks.com/AdvancedSystemCareFree_d5927.html

once installed click on the deep care icon, then select system optimisation. it recently did wonders for speeding up a sluggish laptop.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can disable Microsoft Antimalware Service.As you don't use it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe have a look in here for driver downloads.

You usually have to put in the make and model on some sites.Some other sites will scan your computer and tell you what drivers you need.Not sure about your site.

http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

buteman

It didn't show version and when I tried to let it scan my system it just kept on spinning and saying loading. In the end I closed the page down, but I'm game for another go.

*SunnyStaines

I already have the Pro version, but I don't use the optimisation as I already have my system optimised for performance. When I've tried it in the past I found it just messed up my settings.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It says it has 6 downloads for the BIOS. Am I supposed to download them all or just the most recent?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The 1st one doesn't say what it's for?

2nd - Improve system stability

3rd - Fix function "AC Power Loss" failure issue in some conditions.

4th - Imporve system compatibility

5th - Improve system stability.

6th - Support new CPUs (Beta)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry I have not got a clue when it comes to the Bios I do know that you are not supposed to mess about with it unless you know what you are doing,

I have not heard of 6 updates before for the Bios so best letting someone else advise you.

Is it a new computer or an older one that you have installed W/7 on.

If a new computer you would have thought that they would have put the latest updates on it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

BIOS-Utilities

1-DOS Based Bios update tool

Chipset

1-Intel Chipset Inf Update Program V9.2.0.1021 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7--(WHQL).

AUDIO

1-Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.6251 for Windows 32bit XP/64bit XP.(WHQL) Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6251 for Windows vista 32bit&64bit/WIN7 32bit&64bit.(WHQL)

VGA

1- Intel Graphics Accelerator Driver V8.15.10.2266 for 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7--(WHQL).

LAN

1-- Realtek 8111E LAN Driver V5.782.114.2011 for Windows 32/64bit XP--(WHQL). - Realtek 8111E LAN Driver V6.246.1230.2010 for Windows 32/64bit Vista--(WHQL). - Realtek 8111E LAN Driver V7.37.1229.2010 for Windows 32/64bit 7--(WHQL).

Utilities

1-ASUS AI Charger V1.00.09 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7.

2-Intel Management Engine Interface V7.0.0.1144 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7.

3-ASUS AI Suite II V1.01.14 Install Program for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7.

4-ASUS PC Diagnostics V1.12 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.

SATA

1-Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.1.0.1008 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

My PC is 4 months old

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

hold fire on the bios update, but those others from chipset downwards are all driver updates for motherboard do one at a time then reboot. they should all auto update once you click the setup file like any other driver

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers