We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Processor/s Anomaly?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - FF7 - IE9

My new PC seems to me to be running below par. There are many little things, that make me think that it's not firing on all cylinders/processors? Mainly, everytime I open a folder or file there is a lag a brief waiting time before something happens?

So I went to a website that said it could speed up W7. One of the first things it said was how many processors have you got? Then it said the quickest way to check was to type...msconfig...in the search bar and open the 'Boot' tab. He said top left it will tell you how many processors you have. I followed his directions and it listed my PC as having only one (1).

However, in it's drop down box there was an option to change this to either 1 - 2 - 3 or 4? I was under the impression that the number originally showing was the number of processors my PC actually has.

So I went to the 'Device Manager' and it (like me) seemed under the impression that I actually have 4 processors.

Question: Is my PC running slow because hitherto it's only been firing on 1 processor?...CLICK HERE

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

buteman

I clicked on 'Start' and got a folder called 'services' when I clicked on that I got the picture of an icon, which said...'VeriSign' on it. That's all it was a bmp.

With this were 347 files which contained the word 'services'? DNS also draws a blank?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok try control panel.Administrative tools.Then click on services.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I clicked on 'START' typed 'services' which brought up one folder named 'services' but when I clicked on it, the contents consisted of a BMP Icon with the words 'VeriSign' on it. I clicked the icon, but it just made it bigger?

With the folder were 347 files, all of which contained the word 'services' in some form.

Clicking START and typing DNS showed me 'Internet Properties' specifically 'setting up an 'Internet Connection'?

As for MSE, no I didn't remove it, I'm just not using it or Windows Defender.

"Were there no programs in all programs that scans for driver updates"...No nothing like that.

I know what MOBO I have, it's an ASUS P8H 61-M LE/USB3

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

DNS was already set to 'Automatic' 'Windows Defender' was set to 'Manual' I've now disabled it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

While in 'Services' I noticed something which calls itself...

'Microsoft Network Inspection' It says...

"Helps gaurd against intrusion attempts targeting known and newly dicovered volnerabilities in network protocols"

It's set as 'Manual' shouldn't something like this be set to 'Automatic'?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I can't find that service, on Win 7 HP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

All I have is a few.NET, iSCI initiator and Software Shadow copy in the Microsoft list.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

I also have...

Microsoft Antimalware Service..."Helps to protect users from malware and other potentially unwanted software"

It's 'Started' and set to 'Automatic'

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It must be to do with MSE as I don't have that service either.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...