We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Processor/s Anomaly?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - FF7 - IE9

My new PC seems to me to be running below par. There are many little things, that make me think that it's not firing on all cylinders/processors? Mainly, everytime I open a folder or file there is a lag a brief waiting time before something happens?

So I went to a website that said it could speed up W7. One of the first things it said was how many processors have you got? Then it said the quickest way to check was to type...msconfig...in the search bar and open the 'Boot' tab. He said top left it will tell you how many processors you have. I followed his directions and it listed my PC as having only one (1).

However, in it's drop down box there was an option to change this to either 1 - 2 - 3 or 4? I was under the impression that the number originally showing was the number of processors my PC actually has.

So I went to the 'Device Manager' and it (like me) seemed under the impression that I actually have 4 processors.

Question: Is my PC running slow because hitherto it's only been firing on 1 processor?...CLICK HERE

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

1. System restore should work especially on a new PC. It needs investigating thoroughly.
  2. Unfortunately You've "been showering my PC with all sorts of speed boost tweaks, that I got from that site you gave me the link to...Windows7themes.net." Which means that the supplier may well that you have caused the problem and may be part of the problem.
  3. Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit?
  4. I found that with a new PC search indexing was slowing things down. Once it was complete it speeded up. Try turning it off
  5. What does the W7 Resource Monitor show? What is using your hard drive.
  6. I had one brand new PC that was incredibly slow and I found out that there was a fault with the disk data transfer rate which showed up under Windows Experience Index. It was changed without fuss.
Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

"6. I had one brand new PC that was incredibly slow and I found out that there was a fault with the disk data transfer rate which showed up under Windows Experience Index. It was changed without fuss." -- Woolwell

How does one change the disk data transfer rate without fuss? :-)

It's possible, with the search and indexing practically turned off and the prefetch files erased by CCleaner, the performance reduction is a consequence. However, these adjustments were made soon after out-of-box-experience.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

gigagiggles - Sorry that was a bad post. The whole pc was changed for a another one without fuss.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx buteman

"Did you remove any security or anti-virus programs"...No. But I never used 'Windows defender' and nolonger use MSE 'Microsoft security essentials'.

"Maybe some of your drivers needing updated"...I ran a system driver test and was told that many of the drivers were 'Degraded', I guessed this meant that needed upgrading. But I haven't done nothing about it, because I don't know where to get system drivers from?

"make sure all your drivers are digitally signed"...One wasn't, I've disabled it. It was an old driver for a Wacom graphics tablet.

"In services make sure DNS Client is set to automatic."...Services isn't listed in my 'control Panel'. However, DNS is on Auto. Although I haven't implimented it - yet? - I found this...Click Here

"You have not downloaded a new Host file have you."...No

"a virus that gets downloaded to I/E and it also affects Firefox"...If you are refering to the 'Conficker Worm' which comes in many guises? BitDefender ran a scan on my PC and said I haven't got it.

I checked out your last link, from what i read about what it does, it could very well be the culprit. but are anyone providing a free nuker?

Woolwell

My PC is 32 bit.

"PC search indexing was slowing things down"...Try turning it off"...On/Off? It would seem that there is a conflict of opinion as to wether or not it should be on or off. As you say..."Once it was complete it speeded up"...Mine has reached 26,459 and has finished. So by your own admission there would be no point in turning it off?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

32bit doesn't use the full 4gb of RAM.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Woolwell

"32bit doesn't use the full 4gb of RAM."...I am aware of the fact that Windows only uses 3GB. However, when I built the PC online, my choice was 2GB or 4GB, under those circumstances I think anyone would agree that I made the right choice?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Press start and type in services.Open it and scroll down to Dns Client and make sure it is set to automatic.

While in there scroll down to Windows Defender and disable it.

MSE.Did you just remove it using Add remove or maybe using revo uninstaller.. Click start and type Microsoft security essentials into it and see if it finds any left over parts.

Were there no programs in all programs that scans for driver updates I have on mine when I got it.Mine was for all AMD updates and had a Realtek one as well.

If none of them maybe download and run SIW and it will tell you which motherboard you have and it would just be a matter of going to that website to see what updates are available.

I am not that great at finding the proper updates but I am sure someone else can advise.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Buteman

I posted the following on my other thread...Re-"klit.startnow.com"... It was a fake search engine posing as Yahoo on my PC in FF.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014