We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery from hdd failure

myanmarboy

Likes # 0

Vista Home Premium with Acronis TI 11 installed. I recently suffered total failure of my internal hdd. Local repairman replaced this with new drive of matching spec and installed the Windows from original recovery discs. I had a full TI back-up image on an external drive, albeit a few months old, but when I tried to restore this it wiped the Windows off and I had to start again from the recovery discs with the pain of all the updates and SP1 and 2 etc. I have researched Acronis until my head spins but cannot get my head around a foolproof regime of ensuring that I can painlessly recover from a hdd failure again - it is what Acronis says on the tin is'nt it. With my new internal I have purchased an external (1tb HP Simple Save which saves my data on an ongoing basis but I really want to be able to restore my system to the state it was in at the last backup point if this happens again. I have looked at cloning but from what I gather I would need to install a second hdd in my pc and reclone after system changes. I would really appreciate any advice/info on this subject from anyone who uses Acronis TI and/or has suffered similar experience.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have used ATI to recover by overwriting a damaged OS with no problems.

Questions:

1. Where did you backup to?
  2. Was it a 'Full' backup or did you use 'Incremental' or Differential?
  3. Did you 'Validate' the backup on completion?
  4. Was the backup carried out with the same ATI version as made it?
  5. Did you use the CD or boot from an installation of ATI when you made the backup?
  6. When you attempted the 'Recovery' operation what exactly did you have connected and what was the process you used?

I should add that I have never heard of a correctly prepared and validated backup not functioning properly or wiping a drive.

Like this post
myanmarboy

Likes # 0

johndrew, Many thanks for responding. In reply to your questions :- 1. Backup was made to an external drive via USB2 2. Backup was a single "full" backup with no incrementals. 3. Affirmative - backup was validated, and I used the it to recover some of my data. 4. Affirmative - backup made using TI 11, the only version I own or use 5. When I made the backup, I launched TI from All Programs. 6. When I attempted recovery, I had the external drive attached where the .tib file was stored - nothing else. I has reinstalled TI v11 from the original purchased CD and selected Recovery from the opening menu.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

When you booted from the CD and selected Recovery, you were given a number of locations to recover from; are you certain you selected the backup and not anything else on the external HDD?

To check if the system is working, you could try Recovery of a single file from the external drive to your Desktop (Different Location). If this works I can see no reason for the Recovery operation you attempted to fail.

One other remote possibility, when you did the backup, you did simply select 'C:' and not one of the sub-folders? You should be able to see this if you try the above.

Like this post
myanmarboy

Likes # 0

johndrew/bumpkin, thanks for the responses. I have just tried restoring a single file to my desktop which worked perfectly. Don't know if it's relevant but my Windows is in a separate partition on my drive. Regards cloning. I like the thought of a belt and braces approach and am looking at a having a swappable drive tray fitted next week and cloning to an identical drive. If I do this and subsequently have another failure of my "C", is it just a matter of replacing the failed drive with the clone and also will the system boot from the tray drive? Cheers John B

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Don't know if it's relevant but my Windows is in a separate partition on my drive."

Provided you select the correct location to restore to, it doesn't matter that a drive has more than one partition.

As an aside, ATI will also clone drives for you. It is also recognised as the best backup facility by many on these forums.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......