We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should startup repair only work from one option - either the cd or system?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I noticed that I was getting a blue screen on a vista system when attempting an F8 repair on bootup in a test. There was also the option of reinstalling the system back to factory default via the high st sellers vista cd instead that came with the system. Could the reason for the blue screen beforehand be because the system may not be able to 'repair' itself using F8? The microsoft website states "If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option".. could the blue screen be because the F8 repair option should not list itself at all, and be allowed to be selected?

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Im guessing the the seller has put their own option on the F8 menu, usually the first item is "Repair My Computer" which launches startup repair but I've never bought a pre built pc so not my strong point.

There is a way to add that option if you have the patience.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What code on BSOD?

you can do a start up repair from the DVD

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I dont know the code, the blue screen shows for a millisecond, then restarts windows as normal. I tried switching the autorestart off on the bootup options, but it doesnt stay for me to read it. I cant find anything related to it in the event viewer, unless there is somewhere else I should be looking.

ps Ive mentioned all this in my last post-but ive been trying all day to find out why one registry key: [HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DbgagD\1*]........ using combofix, its value="? \09\06\18\0b73Y" and is suspiciously locked and being picked up by my antivirus as a single "hidden" file).. the system cannot even show the value or let me highlight the folder. as I cant repair this windows key or repair the blue screen, Im wondering if they could be related or if the system simply has corrupt entries. ive tried regmagik and regscanner, and they cant repair or view it.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

ps on the CD, I get "reset to default" and a non clickable "reset to factory default". If I click on the first, it tells me that I will lose ALL files, so unless its a mistake on the disc (accidentally added for both selections when it should only be for the factory default option) I dont want to chance it. Its an msi machine from 2006. although I cant be 100%, im fairly sure this value is just corrupt. I probably shouldnt have used combofix, as thats been known to corrupt files (desktop.ini) and automatically remove default windows files icons too :( I cant win, lol

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's a thread from Malwarebytes about bootkit problems similar to yours. If you use combofix then you need to sign-up to an expert forum, in my humble opinion, to use, Malwarebytes forum

Worth a read but you can skip the first logs of the poster.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've just found Blue Screen View which identified the source of the BSOD on a Vista PC. May help. Incidentally, the problem was a programme called Rapport Trusteer - a freebie from some banks. It has also caused update problems on two other Vista machines.

FreeBluescreenview

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten