We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adding DIMM memory

the hick

Likes # 0

I am intending to add extra 1Gb memory, to 2Gb total, to ASUS motherboard board. The specification for this mo-bo. states DDR2 533/667MHz. Is it OK to use 800MHz, as I have a couple of these available? Or it advisable to keep to 553 or 667? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Can you post your model of Asus MOBO, but it is always advisable to match your existing RAM.

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

The Asus motherboard is M2V890. I think, I should maybe avoid the 800, and add an additional 553 or 667 module.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I think that you will find that the Asus M2V890 is a barebones PC, this one in fact:M2V890 I think that you will find that your PC will not boot if you go for the higher 800MGz RAM.As you say add an aditional 553/667 module.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

For the best performance use the same mhz for all memory modules.

A faster (800) may work, but it wil only run at the speed of the slowest memory module.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks