We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Possible Corrupt Winsock in Windows 7

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

As the heading says...'Possible Corrupt Winsock in windows 7'

I've seached the Internet for a W7 solution, but can't find anything specifically for W7. However, what I have found says it is suitable, but Microsoft doesn't agree and keeps sending me round in circles. Inevitably I always end up back at the page that MS says isn't for W7? My head's starting to spin now.

This is the link to the page I keep coming back to CLICK HERE If you scroll down to 'Method 2' you will see the following...

Method 2: Use the Msinfo32 program

Note Use this method only if you do not have a Windows XP Setup CD and you do not have Support Tools installed.

Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.

Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol.

You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:

MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]

MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]

RSVP UDP Service Provider

RSVP TCP Service Provider

MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...

If the names are anything different from those in this list, the Winsock2 key is corrupted, or you have a third-party add-on, such as proxy software, installed.

If you have a third-party add-on installed, the name of the add-on will replace the letters "MSAFD" in the list.

If there are more than ten sections in the list, you have third-party additions installed.

If there are fewer than ten sections, there is information missing.

It doesn't mention what I see on my PC. I have all the above TWICE, but the setions between them have different values??!!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have you seen this? Winsock repair

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Gengiscant

No I hadn't seen that, I was just about to run 'Reset/Renew TCP/IP' but now I've seen your link I'll check the other things first.

When i first got my new PC with W7, I came on here and asked if I should continue using my tried and tested security software of use 'Microsoft Security Essentials' instead. The reply was virtually unanimous, ditch the others for MSE and Super Anti Spyware. I did what I was bid. Prior to this, in the - something like - 10 years of using AVAST and Spyware Terminator I had never seen a Trojan on any of my PC's and less than a hanfull of viruses, spyware or malware. Over the past couple of months this PC has been nothing but trouble, one thing after another going wrong!

I did a system restore to a month ago, I had to use the Comodo Time Machine, as W7 'System Restore' has packed up, even in 'Safe Mode'. Then I gathered up a whole plethera of my back-up system scanners and let them loose. Between them they found no less than 9 Trojans and enough viruses etc to start a major epidemic.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Odd - I've run MSE on an XP PC for 2 yrs, and on a W7 one for several months. Never had a problem. Infrequent scans with MBAM and Hitmanpro show nothing other than the odd bit of adware.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I think perhaps you are still finding your way about Windows 7 Graphicool1 and yes I have noticed you having a few problems. I have as onthelimit1 has used MSE for quite some time only scan when it nags me to I have a couple of other anti programs again don't scan very often and I do a fair bit of torrenting. I do scan anything I download but very rarely the whole PC. Cannot remember the last time I had a real nasty.

But look at it this way each problem solved increases your overall knowledge.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Well, even with my limited knowledge regarding PC's, there is one thing that seems to apply to them all; what works on one is no guarantee that it will work on another. I can only think that if you took one PC of each make and they were each running the exact self same software and hardware. Then possibly one would react the same as it's twin. But possibly, maybe, perhaps and who knows, would still feature high in my reconning.

I ran...chkdsk /f /r...followed by...sfc/ scannow...in both counts it said: 'this will take sometime'. Neither took longer than 5 minutes maximum and apparently found nothing untowold. I then ran...netsh winsock reset...which seemed to take no longer than 30 seconds. I then checked to see what changes had been made...there are still 20 entries, 10 more than they say there should be in these circumstances.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

On the face of it your last words would seem to be a good thing...

"But look at it this way each problem solved increases your overall knowledge."

However, perhaps not quite so, when you know that the only reason I know as much or as little as I know already about PC's is because of neccessity.

When I bought my first PC I wasn't financially viable enough to be able to take it to a PC repair shop when it went wrong. I had to learn how to fix it myself. You probably know yourself, when others in the same situation - with perhaps a little less practicle aptitude - get wind of your existance, before you know where you are you are helping everyone else too.

At least on PCA if I have a little knowledge to share I can do so as and when I want and don't have to go round other peoples houses to fix it for them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...