We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Pavilion - changing hdd's ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Pavilion DV9500 + Win-7 ult 32bit + 4gb ram.

Hi Folks,

I took over my neighbours machine some months ago. I have upgraded the ram & replaced Vista with Win 7.

I am now looking to upgrade the hdd’s from WD160gb (one at a time).

As usual, I was going for the biggest, fastest thing that I can afford,,,, but it seems that I may have this wrong.

1/ Spin speed: I use my desktop for 95% of the time, and the laptop is secondary. Most of my lap-top use will be connected to the mains,,, but just once in a while, I do use it on battery.

Is it really better to go for a 5400rpm item than 7200rpm one ? Is the difference that great ?

2/ Cache: I see different sizes thrown about, & again, was going for the biggest. Is that wise ? I’m not sure what cache is in this context. Most of them seem to be 8, then 16 & some at 32.

What would the optimum be for my machine ?

3/ Physical size: My WD items are 9.5mm thick. Will 7mm items fit o.k ? Are they a better product for mobile use ?

As some of you know, I’m disabled & need to spend my money wisely. I just want the best thing that I can afford, cos I can’t afford to do it again if it ain’t right.

Any other help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Main question should be is it a SATA or IDE connection?

Faster spin speed is better for access rate but doubt if you will ever notice the difference.

Same applies to cache

What you will notice is how fast it fills up:0)

Therefore get the largest capacity you can afford regardless of cache or speed.

As for size I think you would be safer buy a drive with the same physical dimensions to be sure it will fit in the adaptor.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks FB,

Sorry - They are SATA items.

I didn't save the article that I read on the subject, but I guess the author was thinking more about battery usage than anything.

Whilst battery usage isn't at the very top of my list, it is still something that I need to consider.

As the machine is secondary to my routine, I'm only thinking of going to something like 320gb,,,, unless - of course - some great deal jumps out of the woodwork, that would be rude to ignore.

I am also considering a cheap case/enclosure, to put the outgoing drive into, to use as an external drive. What's my best bet there ?

cheers for now.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

They price from £5 up

Here's a mid price one reduced

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote