We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Invalid product key?

simonsup

Likes # 0

Hi just upgraded to a new harddrive, did a clean install but got stuck at the productkey, it says invalid product key?? on win 7 home 64 bit. Its a real windows 7 dvd. Im stuck cant install windows on my new drive :(

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Are you using the key on the disk? You should be using the key that is on your computer - underneath a laptop or on the side or back of a desktop.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's an upgrade disc see option four Double installing Windows 7

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The link provided above appears to have the answers, but are you trying to install on a 'full' or 'oem' installation?.

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

If yours is the Genuine one. You will not get such problems. Have you given your key to some one else. The better way is to call the customer care of Microsoft and tell your problem.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

This post does not help simonsup.

I have checked the sticker on the case of my HP Pavillion with the result shown in Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and they are different.

I don't have a disk only a Factory Image on my hard drive and the 2 discs made on first bootup.

I did a restore to my Factory Image some months ago but cannot recall whether I had to put in the Product Key or not.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

romanby1, that is normal. The large manufacturers OEM pre-activated at factory product key is different to the key sticker on casing. If you did a back to Factory fresh restore no key input is needed.

simonsup, maybe you did not enter the key correctly, it is very easy to confuse a 0 (zero) with the letter O and a B with an 8. Have you tried it again?

Do you have a Retail Copy of the DVD and did it come properly packaged? there should have been a 32bit DVD as well as the 64bit (so you can choose which one you want) and they both work with the same key.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014