We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networking problems with wireless home network

George Holmer

Likes # 0

I have Virgin Media with a superhub router (Netgear I believe). The issue I have is that I have two laptops joined to the network. Both can access the internet but they cannot see each other. When I run ipconfig, the router has ip 192.168.0.1 and my Acer laptop 192.168.0.3 and the Dell laptop 192.168.0.3.

The Acer runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and the Dell Windows 7 Professional 64bit. The workgroup is set to the same on both.

Now, I am pretty sure that the issue is that although both computers display the SSID as xxxx xxxx (i.e. the same SSID), the Acer says it is on xxxx xxxx 2 whereas the Dell only says it is on xxxx xxxx. This when I place the cursor over the little display of bars on the taskbar as well as in Network and Sharing Centre.

1) could this be the reason I cannot ping the other computer and 2) how do I solve this?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"When I run ipconfig, the router has ip 192.168.0.1 and my Acer laptop 192.168.0.3 and the Dell laptop 192.168.0.3"

Did you mean that one of the Laptops has the address 192.168.0.2 because every device in the network must have a unique IP address. However, if the two Laptops indicate a different SSID, one ending in "2", have you perhaps connected to a neighbour's network, which is also Virgin Media, and with the same router and SSID?

What I'd be inclined to do is to go into the router's configuration and allocate an SSID of your own, then there can be no doubt as to the network to which your two Laptops are connecting.

Like this post
George Holmer

Likes # 0

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, each device has its own unique IP address. I had already changed the SSID to a unique name but what I had not thought about was that in my old house, I used a different ISP and a different router but of course, I had given that SSID the same name and thus, my laptop the Acer dealt with that by adding a 2 to the SSID as it remembered the old network. The Dell, which has a newly installed OS, did never see that old network. The 2 can easily be removed by renaming the network in wireless network properties. But sadly, I still cannot make the two computers communicate, either via a homegroup or workgroup. All I want to do is share my printer.....

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Probably the first thing you need to achieve is to get each machine to ping the other. Until they can do this, you're unlikely to get any further with "File & Printer Sharing".

It might actually be worth trying to see if you can network them with a wired connection to the router before going wireless. If you have third-party firewall software installed, make sure it is configured to allow access to the networked computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen