We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista won't update Service Pack (SP1) 1 to Service Pack 2 (SP2)

5starred

Likes # 0

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue when they tried to update Windows Vista SP1 to SP2. The reason I was trying to update is to update to Internet Explorer 9 for 6 as its my wifes laptop that she very rarely uses. I thought it would be quite easy to do but tried several times and still no joy.

The message that comes up is ERRORNOTFOUND(0x80070490)which I'm aware means Windows cannot search for updates.

I have checked for updates and the following is trying to update but also fails : Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157)

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5710 running Vista SP1 32 bit

Finally I have no repair disc as this is already installed so I tried a reboot, F8 and repair and that also failed....

Any suggestion what to try next??

Many thanks

Like this post
5starred

Likes # 0

I also tried to use the Microsoft Fix It tool but it fails to intall Powershell...

Also just had another failed SP 2 attempt!!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

First check to see if Windows Update is running in SERVICES - Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - scroll down to find Windows Update - right click on it and select Properties - check StartUp Type Box - set this to Automatic - then Start the service - Apply- OK.

To hide an update you right click on it and select Hide Update.

You can't install Service Pack 1 again as it is already installed.

Have a read through this (if you haven't already) enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014