We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Vista won't update Service Pack (SP1) 1 to Service Pack 2 (SP2)

5starred

Likes # 0

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue when they tried to update Windows Vista SP1 to SP2. The reason I was trying to update is to update to Internet Explorer 9 for 6 as its my wifes laptop that she very rarely uses. I thought it would be quite easy to do but tried several times and still no joy.

The message that comes up is ERRORNOTFOUND(0x80070490)which I'm aware means Windows cannot search for updates.

I have checked for updates and the following is trying to update but also fails : Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157)

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5710 running Vista SP1 32 bit

Finally I have no repair disc as this is already installed so I tried a reboot, F8 and repair and that also failed....

Any suggestion what to try next??

Many thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - scroll down to find Windows Update - if not running Start the service.

OR alternatively click Start - Run - type Services.msc

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I also suggest you download and run the System Update Readiness Tool from here which deals with problems rekating to installing updates. enter link description here

Like this post
5starred

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply northumbria61 I have already installed the readiness tool today but still no joy.

The only updates that its trying to do is

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157)

Error details: Code 80070490

Update type: Recommended

Intel driver update for Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Installation date: ?11/?10/?2011 09:11

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Optional

Guess that I'll just have to run with whats already on :( but thanks for the sugestions.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

KB940157 Have a search amongst your Installed Updates you may find that it is already installed- if so then Hide it. The other one is for a Network Adapter and is Optional and I would hide that one also.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you haven't got it then you could try downloading again from here enter link description here This download is for Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or higher There is a choice of download at bottom of page if you are running 64bit.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Don't know what happened there but language changed - correct LINK here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry about the first 2 Links - don't know what happened - was definitely in English (UK) when copied but changed when pasted.

Like this post
5starred

Likes # 0

Thanks for that the last link was for XP so I downloaded the one for Vista SP1 - Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1 (KB940157) the message was that the update does not apply to your system... The system is also saying now that it can't check for updates even though its set to update automatically. I also tried installing SP 1 again but after around an hour it says already installed... Very frustrating.

Like this post
5starred

Likes # 0

In answer to the above there are many failed install attempts but how do you hide them? When I check which updates are installed there are none in the list??

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger