We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Seagate Momentus XT HDD worth putting in this desktop PC?

Batch

Likes # 0

HDD on my desktop PC (Hitachi Deskstar 160GB Sata with 8GB cache) is failing, have switched to an old 80GB IDE for time being. So looking at a new HDD.

Two possibilities come to mind:

Something like a Samsung 1TB F3 7200rpm 32MB cache for around £40 or a Seagate Momentus XT 250GB (ample GB for me) 7200rpm 32MB with a 4GB NAND persistent read cache for about £72.

The Samsung would be an improvement on my old Hitachi anyhow. But am wondering if the Seagate would be worth a punt (bearing in mind that the PC is a 3.2GHz P4, 800MHz FSB, 533Mhz DDR2), or whether the extra performance of this drive would be wasted on such a PC? Allied to this is whether the Seagate disk (which is a 2.5 inch form factor) is inherently inferior (performance wise) to a 3.5 inch form factor drive?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Use the F3, but may I suggest that having only one drive is asking for trouble if you have everything in the one place. Better a couple of 500GB with the second drive backing up the first.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Thanks gengiscant. I'd pretty much already come to that conclusion (in fact have opted for the 500GB F3, for about £33 as it is more than enough for my needs).

No worries on the B/U front. I'm a belt and braces kind of guy (aka paranoia). Have 2 external HDDs for B/Us (one kept in a firesafe), plus key data replicated on pen drives (including one in the boot of my car). Oh, did I mention about the paranoia?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added