We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem installing PCTools firewall

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was having a few problems with PC Tools free firewall installed in late 2009. I uninstalled it, having downloaded the latest version. I tried on several occasions to install it but it seemed to "hang" at the initialisation stage, with the Initialising splash staying on the screen for what seemed forever. Tried uninstalling with Revo but problem of installing persists. Now using windows (7) own firewall but liked PCTools so would like to solve it. Or if anyone can suggest a better free firewall for W7.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have used the built in Microsoft firewall for years without any problems. Have you had a particular poor experience with the firewall or are your needs such that you need something you are more confident with?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

gengiscant. When I had XP in early '09 and before, I used Comodo; it was a bit intrusive. I switched to W7 in late '90 and asked on these forums for advice re firewalls and at that time Zone Alarm (another popular firewall) seemed to conflict with AVG etc.Many thought that the w7 one could be improved upon and as I am not an expert, I decided upon a combination of Avira anti virus and PCTools firewall from replies here. Some said that the built in firewall only dealt with one way traffic. Anyway the combination worked well until recently, and I wanted to keep "the devil I know" in PCTools. In the meantime I am using the windows one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The XP firewall was one way. Vista and W7 Firewall is two way.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try the free version of Win 7 firewall control. It give you easier control over the firewall. Can't help with PCTools though.

Sphinx 32 or 64-bit.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies. I will probably stay with the W7 one for now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today