We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I leave my UPS on

johnincrete

Likes # 0

To protect against power cuts, I bought a UPS. No mention is made in the instructions about whether, when I switch off the computer, I should switch of the power supply or leave it on. I have no idea how these devices work so I don't know if they need to be left on.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I usually switch mine off. When on the battery is charging.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

There's no benefit in leaving it switched on and it will use a small amount of power (you'll probably find that the casing is slightly warm), so best to switch off.

FYI, these units usually use a 12V sealed lead acid battery (similar to those used as battery back-ups in burglar alarm systems). The batteries are readily available (e.g. TLC Direct) and may need replacing every 5 years or so).

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks all Will switch it off

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have found no real reason to switch the UPS off. My APC ES700, does not get noticeably warm, even when it's been on for weeks or the PC and it's peripherals running for 12, or more, hours.

I'm sure that, even when it's quiescent, a small current is used, but turning the current off, will increase the drain on the CMOS Battery, which will shorten it's life.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It also depends on what you have the UPS running, if you have your router running on the UPS it might be better to leave it on.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wasn't there a post about this a long time ago? Something about the battery. Someone said it should be continuously trickle fed to keep it fully charged. If you keep discharging and charging it reduces the life of the battery. I've always left it on.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Yes Lead acid batteries should be kept fully charged.

If anything was draining the battery, while UPS off, eg a router or even a shutdown PC or laptop it reduces the lifetime.

To be sure of 'no drain', turn connected equipment off at socket. Older PSUs may be drawing up to 10W. Newer PSUs is usually < 1W.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

When my UPS is off it doesn't provide power so how can there be a drain?

The UPS has 4 sockets at the back. The PC, Monitor, etc are connected to it. So I shut down, PC, shut down UPS, and then switch off at mains.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Good point. If it shuts down when off, then immaterial.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks