We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having begged for help ..

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. in this thread I though maybe if I started another it may stimulate someone.

Currently I'm using IE (which has suffered the same problem recently) to access the internet, but it is very slow compared to Firefox.

In addition to all that I have done and mentioned in my previous thread, I have fully uninstalled Firefox - including all Profile data and done a clean reinstall. The first thing it did was go into 'Not Responding' mode.

I think I have gone as far as I can with this problem without major help. Can anyone make any suggestion as to a way forward? Would perhaps a Repair to XP offer any advantage? A complete OS reinstall is a task that I really don't want to face with all the various software and registrations involved.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

spuds

If you read the link to ST Forums it is almost 100% my problem was directly associated with changes to AVG and/or Spyware Terminator as a result of updates over the years - or even one update recently. Whether this could be true of other AV/Spyware combinations looks quite possible - maybe even in your case.

If you use Spyware Terminator I would strongly recommend you update to V3.0 (they call it 2012) as it seems to be more polished anyway.

Things seem to be running far better than for the past month.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Very interesting. The problem returned this morning.

It first became apparent when the router seemed as if it were being blocked. I had no 'Connecting' box open at all and when I did, after some seconds, it seemed slow. Having got a connection I started Firefox which opened slowly but before it had reached the Google screen (fully open) had gone into 'Not Responding' - again it could not be closed using Task Manager.

I Restarted the PC and disabled Spyware Terminator and all started properly.

Looks as if I shall be looking for another anti-spyware program.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Looks very much as if you've managed to pin it down at last, conflict with AVG and ST, is Fire Fox running OK with ST disabled or uninstalled ?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Firefox is fine with ST Real Time Shield either in 'Allow' or 'Disabled'. It is interesting that on the ST Forums the suggestion that V3.0 is better but still may conflict with different AV companies is present. I think they may have been aware of this problem for some time.

My difficulty is now finding a real time anti-spyware program to replace it. In fairness it does do a good job in many ways, it's a great pity that compatibility is a problem - especially when it interferes with an attempt to connect to the internet, that is really over the top.

Malwarebytes (free) is a great scanner but offers no real time protection. Spybot S&D offers some real time protection but is not as good at scanning and Spyware Blaster is a good blocker with no other function.

Any other suggestions?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Superantispyware? Superantispyware. I use Kaspersky Internet Suite 2012, free with my banking, and find that I don't require any other antispyware program. Malwarebytes consistently draws a blank.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry - the free version does not include real-time protection.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Further thought - time to try a different anti-virus. I went off AVG a while back.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have tried a whole variety of spyware programs,some with good and some with poor results, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware seem to be the two that as good reviews. I have used Malwarebytes and am at present trying- testing SuperAntiSpyware. So it might be worth a look at http://www.majorgeeks.com for the download of that program or reviews and downloads of many others?.

Would mention that I was having 'router' suspicion due to its recent activity of erratic behaviour, but ruled this out because I have spent a few months with my ISP and BT in resolving some serious service and connection issues. People have suggested hardware problems, but as I have previously stated, my problem seemed to eventually point to a confliction with the browser programs and possible update. The computer now seems to function very well since I sorted that out (we will have to wait and see!).

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

spuds

Thanks for coming back.

Malwarebytes free definitely doesn't have real time protection and I feel pretty certain SuperAntiSpyware is much the same. This is the reason I was using Spyware Terminator.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Well it looks as if Spyware Terminator was the cause of all my woes. Whether it is a conflict with AVG is appearing less likely as AVG has no effect on running the browsers and other software affected. Additionally I have found that with Spyware Terminator running there is an apparent affect on getting my router to connect.

From what I can gather from the Spyware Terminator Forums this is not the first time such problems have arisen; they have, in the past, been resolved quickly with the help of membership.

I have started a thread on the Spyware Terminator Forums with a view to attempting to have these problems resolved. If anyone wishes to follow it the link should take you there.

Many thanks to all for the assistance and support you have provided in the diagnosis of this problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added