We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having begged for help ..

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. in this thread I though maybe if I started another it may stimulate someone.

Currently I'm using IE (which has suffered the same problem recently) to access the internet, but it is very slow compared to Firefox.

In addition to all that I have done and mentioned in my previous thread, I have fully uninstalled Firefox - including all Profile data and done a clean reinstall. The first thing it did was go into 'Not Responding' mode.

I think I have gone as far as I can with this problem without major help. Can anyone make any suggestion as to a way forward? Would perhaps a Repair to XP offer any advantage? A complete OS reinstall is a task that I really don't want to face with all the various software and registrations involved.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Anything much more than 30-40 processes in XP is too many, msconfig Startup tab anti-virus and not much else needed there, 24 non ms services too much and could possibly harbour orphaned services from uninstalled programs where the service has been left behind.

I can't help with MS updates I stopped them years ago, the updater service in services.msc I stopped years back, I'm on XP SP2 and that's it. As far as I can remember after an install best to download ms updates a few at a time, otherwise problems happen now rather than later with the updates.

Think you'd better have a look at these and see what's running in startup tab and services tab and see if they're needed or maybe causing conflicts

type them in here

enter link description here

Look under the A-Z in Task List here

Startup Info, Full Startup List here

Maybe even download Autoruns here and look at the Logon and Services lists, you can right click any entry for an online search

My Fire Fox at the minute is using nearly 200 MB ram, 198,000 Kb and sometimes doesn't unload after closing it and if I try to open it again, have to go into task manager and close it before I can open it again, however I'd definitely reduce some of your startup and non ms services if they're not needed at start up and see how things go.

I've got one non ms service running that's my Avast anti-virus, and 25 processes running in Task Manager for example.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Meant to add if you've got a stack of icons in the notification area by the clock that's usually a pretty good sign of uninvited startup items quite often from programs you've installed that have added themselves without any need to the startup list in msconfig, the programs have been written so the default is to load with windows. Favourites are social networking programs, media players, sometimes photo-imaging progs, it's always a good idea after installing a new program to have a look in msconfig startup tab to see if its installed itself there and try and reason why its done that, anti-virus you want starting with windows, the other items check them out online and if they're not needed to run at startup stop them from doing so and run them when you want to run them from the all program list or from their desktop icon if they have one.

Reading your last post ,there's a very good chance that your problems are caused by too much stuff running in msconfig startup and services tabs.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Les28

I have read and used the links you provided. As a result I have been able to reduce the figures to those below.

1. Task Manager = 59 Processes total. 8 are AVG, 7 svhost, 1 Spyware Terminator, 2 Firewall, the others are (in the main) Windows items.
  2. MSConfig Startup = 15 total
  3. MSConfig Services = 24 total with MS items hidden. 8 of these are 'Stopped'.

This is obviously a reduction and according to the link you gave it is about as far as I can go.

In the notification area by the clock I have 13 items including 2 local area connection icons for internet, AVG, Spyware Terminator, Firewall, Task Manager, Volume, NVidia Settings (this is apparently necessary from your link), HDD Health and NetMeter. So at most only 6 of these are items that I want as 'extras'.

I have not been brave enough to start my router connection before Firefox yet, but have confirmed that Firefox will open and close properly without the router running. Currently it is running at a little over 158MB - about normal as I vaguely remember.

How do the results appear to you?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have been having very similar problems. First with one computer, now another one. Tried various checks on software and hardware with varied results. Checking for malware was taking 4 hours with no completion, and I began to suspect 'Trojan Win32 Agent or Win32 Vundo' as a possible culprit, because the checks were constantly 'referencing' back to them (I need to look at this further). CCleaner was crashing with a 'critical error'. Browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE7/8) was 'not responding, and pages were taking ages to open. So there is (was) something seriously wrong?.

Not saying this is the answer, but this morning I get really fed-up, and I have un-installed all the browsers, then re-installed them, and everything as improved considerably (?). CCleaner though is still issuing a 'critical error' message, so I will need to have a further look there!.

Not out of the woods yet, but it seems to be a start?.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

spuds

Very interesting as your problems certainly seem very similar if not worse than mine. I scanned with Housecall and found nothing, similarly with everything else I tried including HijackThis and the online checker.

I must admit that WinsockFix seemed to help a bit but going through msconfig startup has also had an effect.

Although I started this session normally (by starting the internet connection before the browser) I will need to have a few more days at least until my confidence the problem is resolved is higher.

Please post what you do/find in resolution as it will provide a record and aid not only for us but anyone else with this type of problem.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Msconfig services tab non MS services shown as Running 16, check them out with an online search and also bring up services by clicking Start then Run, typing services.msc into a Run box and click OK, scroll down the service list and double click on any service you want more information on to help with any online searching.

Which firewall are you using?

Perhaps you can acccess NVidia settings from right click blank area of desktop, left click Properties to bring up the display properties box, then select the Settings tab and the Advanced button? If so it wouln't seem a tray icon was needed as well, just a thought.

Msconfig startup tab 15 items still seems a bit much.

8 AVG processes running in Task Manager, I have 2 Avast running in TM, 1 Avast in startup msconfig and 1 Avast in services msconfig.

Think I'd do a bit more weeding out yet.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Firewall is PC Tools Firewall Plus.

The AVG entries are individual for Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, Link Scanner, E-Mail Scanner, Resident Shield, etc. 2 entries in services.msc, 1 in services msconfig.

I have noted that Spyware Terminator is taking an age to load. I was wondering if this was causing a problem. I shall do a bit of investigation and maybe even completely uninstall/reinstall to see if this helps. I suppose it could also be AVG 'looking' at it on startup but I can see no indication of this.

I have done a bit more weeding but have now reached a dead point where I will not be able to use such as Acronis True Image if I go further. Unfortunately Firefox is still hanging if I go online prior to starting it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Unfortunately Firefox is still hanging if I go online prior to starting it." I take it that you are on broadband and therefore your internet connection/online would normally be always on. How are you disconnecting prior to starting Firefox? This seems an odd arrangement to me and I don't understand how it will help. Are you using proxies or host files? What settings do you Have under Firefox tools - options - advanced - network tab and connection settings. Is it your router stalling and not providing the data correctly?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I had an interesting morning reading about Spyware Terminator conflicts. I should also say that I don't use the Clam AV add on to ST which I'm certain would cause problems.

I found a thread on the ST forums where a user was having almost exactly the same problems as I have been experiencing. He found that by turning off the Real Time Shield in ST his problems all but disappeared. The Administrator, after other suggestions revealed an update to V3.0 which is 'improved'.

The first thing I did was turn off ST RTS and it certainly helps. I have since uninstalled ST and replaced it with the new version (I'm not keen on the interface but I'll get used to it) and am running that in it's 'full' mode (no AV) to see what happens.

It could be that Spyware Terminator and AVG updates have caused a conflict between their operations over time which under specific circumstances(?) cause this type of problem. We shall see. I'll give it a couple of days to settle and see if the problem is gone.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

johndrew

Reading your last postings, it would appear that trial and error checks on some of your software programs is the way forward. I seem to have traced my similar' problems to the three browsers that I use, you seem to have found 'something' with Spyware Terminator.

In my opinion there as to be a 'conflict' problem, something that might have been caused by an update perhaps?.

Again today, the computer is running very well, something that was not happening before I got 'fed-up' yesterday, and did a few re-installs and adjustments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July