We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having begged for help ..

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. in this thread I though maybe if I started another it may stimulate someone.

Currently I'm using IE (which has suffered the same problem recently) to access the internet, but it is very slow compared to Firefox.

In addition to all that I have done and mentioned in my previous thread, I have fully uninstalled Firefox - including all Profile data and done a clean reinstall. The first thing it did was go into 'Not Responding' mode.

I think I have gone as far as I can with this problem without major help. Can anyone make any suggestion as to a way forward? Would perhaps a Repair to XP offer any advantage? A complete OS reinstall is a task that I really don't want to face with all the various software and registrations involved.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You could maybe try running RKill first then running MBAM

enter link description here

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Reading your posts again, you have an active background scanner running, Spyware Terminator?

Have you tried uninstalling or stopping this running, or at least stopping any component in it that runs an anti-virus program, in case of any conflict perhaps following updates with your AVG 9 anti-virus?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you. The only reg cleaners used are those I have used for years, primarily Ccleaner; it's never caused a problem before, nor has Advanced System Care.

Les28

Have run Winsockfix and I am very gingerly running Firefox in normal mode now. I'll see how it goes - fingers crossed - before I resort to a Repair.

Why would I need the USB to PS/2 adaptor when both of my current items are PS/2?

rdave13

A good, sensible move as any 'nasty' will have less places to hide.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Les28

Missed these two posts.

I have downloaded RKill as it must be a useful tool even if it's no applicable here.

Spyware Terminator has been running alongside AVG for years now, so unless there has been an update to either which causes conflict I doubt there is a problem. I have, briefly, done a search but found nothing. Spyware Terminator doesn't have an AV element but AVG does have some antispyware features. Having said that, it must be worth a try as it is easy to do.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Let's hope maybe the winsock fix helps?

Malware sometimes as you know hides in system restore points and re-infects from them, however I'm not suggesting you delete all restore points, assuming you have system restore running.

If you think it maybe malware somewhere like

is the best place to try

Conflict with AVG9 and real time anti malware background scanners mentioned here in first post, but may not apply as you've had no trouble for years

If a repair install doesn't solve the problem, it looks more like either a hardware issue or malware, as a repair install doesn't remove malware like a full reinstall does, Les.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The problem is that we've been down these routes in the original thread. I don't think that it is malware. This leaves hardware problems or software conflicts.

johndrew - can you refresh my memory - does the entire system lock up or just the browsers?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

mbam hung ....the database update prior to the last on caused my mbam to hang half way through, latestest database update runs ok.

try update and re run of mbam

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Software conflicts I asked about how many items running in startup and (non ms) services tabs in msconfig, still waiting for a reply on that one, same with how many processes running in task manager, I don't think these were asked directly in original posting.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I ran RKill which closed nothing. In normaI booted mode I ran a full scan using fully updated Spyware Terminator; nothing found. I started Malwarebytes and initiated a scan but it stopped reponding partway through and would not close.

Inoted in Task Manager that Firefox was still showing in Processes with no CPU usage but a memory usage of over 63,000K. There was no indication it was running in Applications. It refused to close using the End Process selection or End Process Tree. The usual Task Manager option box appeared when the selections were made but, apparently, had no effect. Why it was there I have no idea; could it have been stuck in memory/part loaded/part closed or simply stalled?

I booted into Safe Mode and ran Malwarebytes (updated today) for a full scan with nothing found and no problems. Spyware Terminator was running in the background as was AVG.

Why these (and other) programs hang, fail to open/close correctly appears to be the cause of the problem, but finding that cause is becoming quite a pain.

Suggestions?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Les28

Sorry I have been attempting MS updates - nightmare, kept freezing.

1. Task Manager = 63 Processes total
  2. MSConfig Startup = 23 total 19 non-MS
  3. MSConfig Services = 24 total with MS items hidden

Woolwell

Only software programs. Often browsers but could be other items on occasion.

I have found that by starting Firefox before I connect to the internet there is less chance of it 'Not Responding', however I have also seen that it doesn't necessarily close properly (see post above) when i exit it - same can apply on starting it but more commonly if I am connected to the internet on starting it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)