We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having begged for help ..

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. in this thread I though maybe if I started another it may stimulate someone.

Currently I'm using IE (which has suffered the same problem recently) to access the internet, but it is very slow compared to Firefox.

In addition to all that I have done and mentioned in my previous thread, I have fully uninstalled Firefox - including all Profile data and done a clean reinstall. The first thing it did was go into 'Not Responding' mode.

I think I have gone as far as I can with this problem without major help. Can anyone make any suggestion as to a way forward? Would perhaps a Repair to XP offer any advantage? A complete OS reinstall is a task that I really don't want to face with all the various software and registrations involved.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

48 hours ago I uninstalled Rapport.

I have not had a freeze since. I'll update this in the next 48 hours.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Sorry, I'm not familiar with 'Rapport'. Is it some sort of security software?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

October 18 and still no Freezes.

John ~ Rapport is a program, frequently supplied by banks, which checks that you are logged onto a Bona Fide Site and have not been scammed onto another, for nefarious purposes.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

wee eddie

I've learned something else so today isn't wasted! Many thanks.

It could be that it conflicts with some other security software on your PC as Spyware Terminator is doing on mine?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Possibly, but the freezes seem to have occurred when I logged out of a Site/Screen, that was taking too long to load, and onto another.

That no longer seems to happen now that I have deleted Rapport.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm finding the apparent number of different bits of software that cause conflict of this nature quite mind numbing. There also seem to be some (once really good) utilities that no longer wish to function with much at all.

A great shame for overall security and (perhaps) a win for those who produce the nasties.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers