We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Dimension 4600 Can't Install Windows XP Pro ...

Shikaree

Likes # 0

I'm trying to Install Windows XP Pro on a second Hard Drive. Just the new Hard Drive is hooked up as Primary Master.

Windows XP Pro begins and goes through the process of checking everything .... When it comes Setup is Starting Windows ... here the problems begins I get the Long Problem description and at the end ...

Technical Info with a whole lot of 00000000 - Stop OX 0000007F then all the group of 0s

Please HELP!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Set to 250 to MASTER put in Elonex as only drive (won't boot as no op system) and see if BIOS recognises it.

IF BIOS cannot see it then its faulty.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

I've got the DELL Dimension doing what I wanted. However, not with the 250GB but with an old 80GB Western Digital Hard Drive (As SLAVE) which is not in Evesham. Both are in CABLE SELECT Jumpers.

It has recognised this Hard Drive and shows in MY COMPUTER, Ive Clicked it opened and viewed. It's 80GB and Partitioned so that is showing as well. My 80GB Old Hard Drive showing as 'E' & 'F' (New Volume as 'F' and showing in Disk Management. FILE SYSTEM - NTFS. 'E' as Healthy (Active). 'F' as Healthy).However, the DELL's 80GB Hard Drive (the original that came with the DELL) is not showing in Disk Management - How Strange.

Both are showing in DELL BIOS - Primary Master Drive and Primary Slave Drive. Model is showing, Drive Type - AUTO. CAPACITY - DELLs 80GB is showing as 80004MB. My OLD one as 800020MB.

Now does this confirm that the 250GB is FAULTY.

The problem is, that if it is Faulty, I bought it from PC World I think about 2 months ago as a Second Hard Drive for Evesham for Cloning. I only took it out of its packing when I decided to put a bigger Hard Drive into the DELL. No chance of me Returning it. What Bad luck.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Sadly all your replies to my Thread is not coming to my E-mail. I get into PCA from the daily News Letter from Matt Eagan, Editor, PCA.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try PC World to get it replaced (they should replace it) or you could get an RMA from WesternDigital if the drive is still in warranty.

Warranty Check for End User http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp and choose United Kingdom in the country drop down choice.

Then just type the S/N number in (it's on the Harddrive under the bar code) and it will tell you if still covered.

Just checked one of mine that's been in a box for at least a couple of years and it came back with:

In Limited Warranty: The product is still under warranty and the serial number is valid and ready for replacement.

Number of drives eligible for Replacement: 1

(It's covered until May 2012 so that is nice to know :))

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. WOW!! I have up to 18-3-2014

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi T0SH, Fruit Bat /\0/\, lotvic,, Terry,

A BIG THANK YOU to all, for your HELP & ADVISE in this Thread.

The 250GB Western Digital Hard Drive seems to be Faulty. Will contact Western Digital on Monday regarding Replacement.

Best wishes to you ALL

Shikaree

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hi, that's good news. I had one RMA'd about 4 years ago, they sent me a new one no probs.

Let us all know how you get on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad