We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Dimension 4600 Can't Install Windows XP Pro ...

Shikaree

Likes # 0

I'm trying to Install Windows XP Pro on a second Hard Drive. Just the new Hard Drive is hooked up as Primary Master.

Windows XP Pro begins and goes through the process of checking everything .... When it comes Setup is Starting Windows ... here the problems begins I get the Long Problem description and at the end ...

Technical Info with a whole lot of 00000000 - Stop OX 0000007F then all the group of 0s

Please HELP!!!

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic, WOW!!! Getting back to normal again. Ahhhhh!!!! : - ))) What would we doing without them.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi T0SH, Fruit Bat /\0/\, lotvic,, Terry,

I have two 2 SATA Connectors on my Dell Dimension Motherboard. Do you think it would be a good idea to forget about the 2nd. IDE Hard Drive and go for SATA.

Thanks

Shikaree

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes IMHO, Sata. Is your XP pro DVD SP1 (or 2)?.

I still think the 25Gb IDE Hard Drive is faulty, have you tested it yet as slave in your good pc?

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

I have XP Pro with SP3on the same CD. No not yet. But I'm checking the 250GB with the LINK some gave on this Thread. Didn't open up my computer till quite late today. Was out. But will definitely will do it this evening.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Don't think you are going to be able to test with the Drive diagnostic tools as it cannot be see in Disk Management or My Computer and not properly in the BIOS.

I think best bet is to couple to your other machine and see if its BIOS recognises it properly, then you'll know if its the Dell BIOS or the drive causing the problem.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

OK. Thanks. Shall do that. Yea, I didn't even think of that. Can't do anything unless it shows and has a Letter

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Typo: I meant 250Gb IDE Hard Drive

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi T0SH, Fruit Bat /\0/\, lotvic,, Terry,

Hooked up the 250GB to my Evesham as Primary Dual Slave. Had one awful time with it. Tried about six times with two different IDE Cables. Boot Failure. Hit F1 to Continue. Kept Hitting F1 and the same instruction came up. Then I disconnected the 250GB from is Metal case and connected. Booted up. 250Gb not in MY COMPUTER, not in Disc Management. In BIOS as OFF.

Need to give this 250GBa Letter. Can only do it from Disk Management - is that Correct.

Oh dear, what can the Matter be ...

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Check the jumper setting on your Evesham existing drive (doesn't want to be on Single)

Set Evesham BIOS to Auto Dectect the slave

Try the 80Gb in the Evesham as a slave.

Look in BIOS to see if it is recognised. You can't do anything with a drive until the BIOS knows it's there.

If recognised ok then you can look in My Computer to see if 80Gb showing ok. If that works with no problem you can try with the 250Gb if it doesn't do the same then you will know the 250Gb is faulty.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic for coming back each time with advise. I couldn't sleep last night so I spent that time trying to get this 250GB to let itself be recognised in my Evesham. As I have no space inside Evesham, I had to put it on its side and the new 250GB on the side of the other hard Drives. I had to swop the DELL's IDE Cable for a longer IDE Cable. I also had to use an Extended Molex Cable to make it comfortable for this incorrigible 250GB hard Drive.

I'm beginning to want to throw this 250GB out the window. I have always bought Western Digital. In my Evesham I have three. Never had any trouble with them.

A thought - my BOIS is A10 the latest for Dell Dimension 4600 is A12. I have never Flashed Bios. Risky. Your opinion please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded