We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Dimension 4600 Can't Install Windows XP Pro ...

Shikaree

Likes # 0

I'm trying to Install Windows XP Pro on a second Hard Drive. Just the new Hard Drive is hooked up as Primary Master.

Windows XP Pro begins and goes through the process of checking everything .... When it comes Setup is Starting Windows ... here the problems begins I get the Long Problem description and at the end ...

Technical Info with a whole lot of 00000000 - Stop OX 0000007F then all the group of 0s

Please HELP!!!

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Dells DVD IDE Cable is very short. It has two DVD/CD Slots one under each other and the DVD IDE Cable is just enough for that. I used another IDE Cable usually used for Hard Drives and I made the 250GB Hard Drive Secondary Master and DVD Secondary Slave. Again in Dells BIOS it showed the 250GB as Hard Drive but in Hard Drive Sequence again showed Model Unknown - Drive Type - Auto Capacity - 0MB. The DVD was shown as OFF. So I think their Cable has to be used.

I was told that with Dell dimension 4600 my Model Max 250GB. One other thing I have learnt, that Dell has its own XP Pro from Microsoft. Because my daughter lost the original XP Home Edition. I bought the XP Pro a few days ago I told him it was for Dell Computer and I was delivered the XP Pro CD with DELL on it.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Tomorrow I will hook the 250GB as Slave in my Evesham computer ans see what happens

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For a Harddrive Partition bigger than 137Gb you need XP Professional SP-1 disc. Without the SP-1, XP can't recognise bigger than 137Gb

Gleaned some snippets from ClickHere

"All the BIOS versions for the Dimension 4600, already have 48-bit LBA support for drives larger than 137gb"

"A Hint: Replace the default IDE ribbon data cable with a new cable, I've issues with the Dell IDE cable when recently installing second hard drives in the 4600, replacing the cable was the answer."

"Dell uses the 'Cable Select' jumper setting for the IDE drives"

++++++

Drivers & Downloads for Dimension 4600 ClickHere

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi T0SH, Fruit Bat /\0/\, lotvic,

Here’s something that I did today:

I used the IDE Cable that came with the Dell Dimension 4600. Used CABLE SELECT for both Hard Drives. Connected the 80GB hard Drive, the original that came with the Dell as Primary Master, to the Top Black Connector and the 250GB hard drive to the Middle, Grey Connector of the IDE Cable.

Booted up Ok. MY COMPUTER - The 80GB Hard Drive showed up faithfully, as ‘C’ drive. The 250GB Hard Drive as usual didn’t show up.

In Disk Management - both the 80GB and the 250GB Hard Drives were missing.

DELL BIOS – 80GB hard Drive – Showed as Primary Master Drive - Hard Drive. 250GB hard Drive – Showed as Primary Slave – OFF.

The 80GB - Model was recognized. Drive Type – AUTO. Capacity 800004MB.

250GB Hard Drive – Model Unknown. Capacity – N/A (in Red). Here I managed to change it from OFF to AUTO. Now it’s showing as Unknown Device in Bios. I couldn’t chance the Capacity. Saved & Exit.

What does this tell you, please.

Next I'll try with a New IDE Cable I have.

Shikaree

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

250GB Hard Drive – Model Unknown. Capacity – N/A (in Red). Here I managed to change it from OFF to AUTO. Now it’s showing as Unknown Device in Bios. I couldn’t chance the Capacity. Saved & Exit.

Either the drive is faulty or the BIOS will not (cannot) recogise a large drive - unusual unless the machine is over 10 yrs old.

Try a new cable / try the drive in your other PC

The drive will not show in My Computer until initialised and a drive letter assigned and formatted in Disk management.

If the other PC does not show the drive in BIOS correctly then its almost certainly a faulty drive.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Test the hard drive with this diagnostic program for WEstrern Digital http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Western-Digital-DLG-Diagnostics.shtml

If there is a fault this will show it.

It could be that the drive is incorectly formatted (not reconised in windows), and you may need to do a low lever format to rebuild it.

Terry

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi T0SH, Fruit Bat /\0/\, lotvic,, Terry,

Ok, here’s something more. I shut down my Dell after that Change from OFF to AUTO and rebooted. Then on Startup:

ERROR auto-sensing Primary Hard Drive1. Strike F1 key to Continue. F2 to run Setup Utility.

So I strike F1 … Booted up OK. Went into MY COMPUTER - 80GB Hard Drive Showing as ‘C’. 250GB Hard Drive not there. Disk Management – As usual both not showing.

Shut down my PC. Started again. Booted up to the same ERROR Message. This time I hit F2 . went into BIOS. Drive Configuration – Hit Enter – Showing – Primary Master Drive – Hard Drive. ) Primary Slave drive – Hard Drive.) This could be the Reason for that ERROR.

Curser down to Primary Master Drive. Hit Enter. As usual recognized Model – WDC WD800BB- 75FJA1. Drive Type AUTO. Capacity – 80004MB.

Cursered down to Primary Slave Drive – Hit Enter – Model Unknown. Drive Type - Auto. Capacity 0 MB.

I’ll have to reverse the AUTO back to OFF in BIOS.

Shall let you know results.

HH

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"hook the 250GB as Slave in my Evesham computer ans see what happens"

did you do that? and what happened?

It's looking like it could be a faulty 250Gb harddrive as BIOS can't read it properly.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

lotvic,

Not yet. Mmmmmmmm!!! We have our 2 eldest grandkids here. They came for the Weekend and stayed on. Hopefully they will go back to my daughter tomorrow. The Router is hooked on to my Evesham. The Dell is not connected to the Internet.They play games and play on the Xboxes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"2 eldest grandkids here"

enjoy :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made