We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a virus?

geedad

Likes # 0

InstallIQ updater.

Is this a kind of virus? geedad

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some info here.

Seems you have installed some software that uses InstallIQ for its updates.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Certainly seems to be Crapware/Junkware.

An extra line of defence is WinPatrol This gives trusted pop-ups when other software tries to put an entry in StartUp folder or change HomePage etc. So you can deny them.

Unexpected pop-ups I Ctrl-Alt-Del and End. (don't click anywhere on them, not even empty space)

I thoroughly recommend WinPatrol alongside your normal AV.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

WP Free version of course

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thank you! That's very useful and I will be uninstalling InstallIQ. I believe it is responsible for lots of nasties. robinofloxley Yes, you assume correctly, and I will install the free version of WinPatrol. Thanks to you all again! geedad

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

robinofloxley I have installed WinPatrol. It has found 13 instances of Conduit Toolbars! I find that one of these is useful ( Translator), but is it safe to remove the rest? geedad

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I don't know. Disable them in WinPatrol and see if you get any problems or need them over next few weeks. They are easily re-enabled if so. Google each one to see what app it came with?

IOBit Uninstaller has a Toolbar category if you want to get rid of them permanently.

Or they may be listed in Add/Remove/Uuninstall in Control Panel.

Whenever you install new stuff, even from reputable sites, they do like to sneak these extras in. Don't just click Next, Next, Next. Look for the options you have to untick.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: Disable or Remove in WinPatrol is for the StartUp entry only. It does not uninstall the whole thing as far as I know.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

robinofloxley Thank you once again for your replies. Very useful indeed! I normally AM very careful when downloading stuff but a slight distraction means you miss the sneaky bits! geedad

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

I have uninstalled InstallIQUpdater. However, on doing a search, it shows the following: CPROGRAM FILES (x86)W3IINSTALLIQUPDATERINSTALLIQUPDATER.EXE.ndb followed by the same but _nbd.bak at the end. Should I uninstall these as well?

geedad

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Probably OK to Uninstall.

Or rename the folder XXW3IINSTALL...etc.

If some program wants to use it, it will say it can't find it.

Delete when sure nothing still needs it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia