We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

tim.h

Likes # 0

My Toshiba laptop using XP SP2 has presented a blue screen with "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x00000000 0x0000000)The system has been shut down" after the XP logo has been showing, on startup. It then attempts to start again and repeats the above behaviour. I can access the BIOS with F2 and the boot menu from F12 but nothing else. I don't possess any installation discs

This first occurred after my wife placed the computer on top of a loudspeaker, which was switched off. Could this have caused my problem and how can I rectify it, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fail

Reboot and keep tapping F8 select Last Known good Configuration from the menu.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

If the speaker isn't of the shielded type (normally for 5.1 surround systems) the i would think that the magnet in the speaker might have corrupted the hard drive. Was the laptop ontop of the loudspeaker for a long period?.

I've managed to kill a laptop i use for setting up energy metering systems by acidenditly lettings the magnetic optical reader head get to close to the hard drive even though it's only 25mm round it has quite a strong magnet.

Thats why i think you might have corrupted the hard drive.

If you have a reinstalation by the windows cd / dvd would be the only option as if laptop had a recovery partition this would also now be corrupt.

Regards

Keith

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. Fruitbat, I have tried your suggestion and selected the last known good configuration, but still end up with the bluescreen and same message. I think Aquatarkus may be correct in his assumption that the hard drive is corrupted. The laptop was only on the small hifi speaker for a few seconds.

Assuming the drive can be saved, where can I get installation/recovery discs from? The key is on the underside of the machine.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just ask around to see if anyone has a copy of XP you can borrow.

Then do a clean install using the number on the laptop

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

Thanks again. Are disks such as these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250897198382#ht5599wt952 any help in your opinion?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No that is only a disk that will allow a boot and use of certain tools.

You may beable to recover the laptop have a read

here or here

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, I don't know what idiots like me would do without great advice from the likes of you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...