We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

service pack for xp

el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am having trouble loading service packs for a basic level win xp 32-bit.

What's the easiest way? Service pack 2 no longer available, and 3 doesn't install without 2.

I have tried installing 1 several times and get srver time out message.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sp2 here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm afraid the Windows XP service pack support dates have all expired.

Perhaps it's time to consider upgrading to Windows7.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

To install SP 3, you must have SP 1. You do not need SP 2. Make sure you dfownload SP 1 from MS here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FE - I bow to your superior knowledge (and apologise for my poor typing speed)!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just a thought. If you really can't get this to work and want to stay with XP, you can get genuine XP SP 3 CDs from ebay (I did, and use them to reinstall XP when necessary).

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I found two versions of SP3 when I needed them in days of yore.

I used the Network version since the other one used to hang on install. (ignore the warning, it's fine on a network of one)

XP SP3 Network

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

My knowledge isn't that superior where Windows XP is concerned - it's been a long time since I had anything to do with that version of Windows. It's still possible to download the Service Packs apparently.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FE - ah, OK, that's what I thought, as I've been reinstalling for others recently.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

SP3 as an iso image from here, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25129.

Use it to create a cd, it does speed the install time next time, although you do still get more updates afterwards.

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Tried sp1, server timed out (for a change).

Tried sp2, it needs .net framework 2 to run. Downloaded it, and sp2 still won't load.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote