We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lifting files from Ext hdd ?

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

W-7 32bit.

I used to run XP on my machine until last Christmas. I updated nearly everything in the machine & moved up to W-7 (Ult) – 32bit. I saved the old IDE HDD (XP) as it has a few bits on it that I want to transfer at some point.

In the meantime, I want to lift a couple of ‘favourite’ links from the old Internet Explorer on that drive. I have connected it via a USB adapter, & opened it. Have looked in Internet Explorer, & get a list of files/folders, but I can’t find the list of ‘favourites’.

Should it be possible to find/lift these files/links, without booting it up ?
I’m not sure if it will boot now.

I’m not sure which version of IE it is, but I guess 7,,,, maybe 8. I was using it until last Xmas, so whatever was current then.

thanks folks

• Tags:
  • ie
Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"....I want to lift a couple of ‘favourite’ links from the old Internet Explorer on that drive...."

Here's the path to your old Internet Explorer favourites:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Favorites

Where "yourusername" is the one you used on your previous XP PC.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Your links will be in the favourites folder found on the XP drive under documents and settings.There will probably e a version for each of the users. Use search to find them

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks guys,

SS: That link worked great on C: drive, but not on G: drive (or any other), but it pointed me in the right direction.

M418: Success. It got me just what I wanted.

All sorted - cheers

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone