We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lexmark Z1420 and a mac.......

sumospim

Likes # 0

Hi all, firstly apologies if this ends up being a dumb question... I brought a Lexmark Z1420 wireless printer for my gf and she has a mac.First dumb thing didnt check compatabilty!! Any way, printer came with a Windows cd but no mac. She is running 10.4 but on Lexmark site there are only drivers for 10.5 upwards. Found a driver etc online and have managed to get printer to print by usb but i cant for the life of me get the wireless part to work. The wireless light on the front remains lifeless dispite many hours of fiddling. Has anyone got one of these or able to give me some advice/ steers as i am tearing my hair out...;-) Many, many thanks Simon

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you shared your printer? Go to Control Panel - Devices & Printers - right click on your Printer - Printer Properties - Sharing Tab - put tick in Share this Printer - Apply - OK.

Like this post
sumospim

Likes # 0

Nope;-). I will try that later... Many thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Also have a look here enter link description here expand the table of contents to view all

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

And there is a LIST to choose from here should you require further info. enter link description here

Like this post
sumospim

Likes # 0

Yep read through all this previously but hadnt shared the printer as of your first suggestion. Its all set up ok but then when i get to Note: 1 Make sure the computer is on. 2 From the Finder desktop, click the Applications folder. 3 From the Applications folder, double-click the Internet Connect icon. 4 From the toolbar, click the AirPort icon. 5 From the Network pop-up menu, select print server XXXXXX, where XXXXXX is the last six digits of the printer's MAC address.

There is no print server in the deop down..

Is that because i havent shared the printer?

Cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Not certain if that is your problem but I would say you need to share the printer

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

There should be a menu on the printer's display window where you need to enter the IP address of your printer. Details should be in the manual but:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=SO4312&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US

Instructions above. It can be a bit fiddly to do and you should be using wifi, not airport (airport devices are different and Wifi is the way to go.)

In order to enable wifi on the mac, right click the icon on the toolbar and choose enable wifi, then follow the instructions for the printer.

Like this post
sumospim

Likes # 0

Cheers all

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features